Massai Safari


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Arusha
June 10th 2007
Published: June 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We just returned from the Massai village on the border of Tanzania and Kenya. I am still covered in the red dust of the most remote parts of this country. We drove roughly 3 hours north from Arusha towards Kenya to get to the Massai village where we would spend the weekend. Once we passed through Arusha only an empty road lay ahead and and the occasional Massai herder with his cows. We finally stopped just shy of the Kenya border and pulled off the road (main North/South road in Africa - runs from Cairo to Capetown and would hardly be a 'backroad' by our standards) and proceeded to drive through the bush for 30 mintues or so. We could see Massai childern in the distance with herds of goats, and as we got closer they chased behind the car waving and singing until we finally stopped in the village. We were greeted by 30 or so Massai women and girls who sang an danced to welcome us to the village. Upon finishing they asked Kesama (our Massai guide) for us to sing and dance for them. Not really know what to sing, and since they sang us songs about massai religion, birth, cooking, weddings, pregnancy, we decided it would be best to since Take Me Out to the Ballgame. I mean can you get any more American? Yes. Theloved it so much we followed that with Rudloph and the Star Spangled Banner. It is worht mentioning that the vast majority of Massai people do not even speak Swahili, let alone english. They still speak their tribal language of Ma, and currently over 97% are illiterate. Even so, it continues to astound me how people who can not communite verbally can gain so much trough laughter, smiles and facial expression. Kesuma gave us a quick lesson in Ma before arriving in the village, which really threw our Swahili out of whack. We learned to say hello (differnet greeting for men, women, children and also by age) and respond, please, thank you, etc. Should I ever meet a Massai anywhere else I will know how to have a conversation (albeit short).
Okay, this place is closing...more on the Massai later.

Advertisement



10th June 2007

Ma
Send more pictures - with you in them. I love those!
10th June 2007

Song & Dance
I've heard you sing before, and it isn't pretty. The people must be VERY generous to cheer for you! Keep blogging Sar, it's fun to live vicariously through your adventures. Travel safely.
11th June 2007

What an experience
I read your journals with envy and excitement. Like your Mom I am so proud of you and your endeavors. I am thrilled to be able to read your experiences as soon as you post them. I can only imagine all the lives you are affecting!
12th June 2007

Wow! How amazing...
I'm so excited for you, and jealous too. I would love to return. The contrast between incredible beauty and terrible poverty is heartbreaking.

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb