Not as hot as expected, but definitely not Kansas toto


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
December 14th 2011
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

<!-- .entry-header -->

Habari ya asubuhi!

A bit hotter today than the last two days, but at least most of the power problems appeared fixed. For now. Work coming along slowly – lots of thinking on how to best apply the existing tools in a new more efficient and effective process. Project plan is complete along with usual breathing room. No extensions on this gig — plane ticket is bought and change fees are extraordinary. No worries though, I’ll figure it out.

I have had pints in Irish or English pubs all over the US, in London proper, in Beijing, Metuchen (Hailey’s!), Shanghai and Bogota. Add Dar es Salaam to that list. Went to the local ex-pat watering hole last night, the George and Dragon. I’m sure to be back plenty of times before my time here is up. It was packed, the beer was mighty cold and the curry was quite delicious. Only downside is the smoking. When the anti-smoking laws in bars came up years past, it seemed that it would change the experience. Well, it did – but for the best. My shirt could’ve stood on its own this morning from the tobacco. Interesting aside at the pub, the guys in charge of security, in fact, most of the restaurants use them… Maasai Tribesmen in full garb.

One more thing.. if you had any ideas that roosters crow at sunrise, I’m here to tell you to forget such misguided thoughts. 3:35am… and 4, and 5 and 6. Not only do you glimpse the goat herder and his 15 goats on the neighborhood roads, but you also have the roosters waking you up in the middle of the night. Couldn’t go back to sleep, tried to work, did some reading instead. Doubt I’ll be much fun tonight.

Back to the mines, lunch break is over. Still yet to have real local food… continue to be discouraged to try it, regardless may have to wait for the weekend – far too much going on during the day, and with local traffic (rules of the road? There are no rules!) its nearly impossible to go far and get back in time.

Kwa heri.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb