The Southern African Round Trip


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
January 9th 2011
Published: January 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Just started planning a road trip to Dar es Salaam, from Johannesburg, and back. It well known that the anticipation, and reminiscing has nothing to do with the reality of the African bureaucracy, heat, flies, and potholes but here I go.

At this time it is early day's but the rough idea is as follows: Start +- 8th of April 2011 in Johannesburg South Africa on our faithful steeds BMW GS1200's myself and Johnnie Mayer, cross the border into Zimbabwe at Beitbridge-Mussina and make our way up through Harare to Nyamapanda / Mozambican border. This area is called the Tete Corridor and is not far from the Cahora Bassa dam wall with some excellent Tiger fishing and accommodation.
From Tete the idea is to travel on the Western side of Lake Malawi and East of the Zambian border into Tanzania and cover the country from the East to the Western shore at Dar es Salaam load the motorbikes on a ferry and stay on the Island of Zanzibar for a few days. It might also be a good idea the fly the woman folk in from South Africa to join us for this part of the trip.
The last leg will be from Dar es Salaam down the Mozambican coast to Maputo and back to Johannesburg.
The logistics are simple, subjective, and subject to change.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



31st January 2011

Update
At this time it seems that taking the bikes over to Zanzibar is a sleb, so we will park them in Dar es Salam and rent scooters on the island. It also seems that the road between Rovuma and Palma in Mozambique might not be do-able, any info anybody??????????

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb