My first day at work


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
October 20th 2008
Published: March 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

My officeMy officeMy office

Femina HIP is on the top floor of the Patel Building
Naomi filled me in that Molly, who’s working as a consultant at our organisation, Femina HIP, was living upstairs in our building and would give us a lift to the office! It was already baking hot again at 7.30am, so I was rather pleased to be taken in Molly’s air-conditioned RAV4, then having to cramp into an overloaded Dala-dala. We took some back streets with some serious potholes to avoid the traffic jam as much as possible, so got to the office in little more than half an hour.
Molly, who was from the US, works in fact as a HR consultant, so it fell upon her, to give us the induction (it’s part of the VSO police that all vols are supposed to get a proper induction, when they start their placement, but as I heard later, that doesn’t quite happen everywhere…). Besides Naomi and myself there was a third new starter in the organisation, Nash, a Maasai woman, who had been hired as Community Mobilisation Manager. So we had presentations from all departments and went out for lunch to Al Basha, the Lebanese restaurant in town (nice food, which is only ruined by the very stale Pita bread).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb