Mzungu Takes Over the Blog


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
February 25th 2007
Published: February 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Landing at the DSM International AirportLanding at the DSM International AirportLanding at the DSM International Airport

Angel hugs Gary and Jennifer upon arrival at the Dar es Salaam international airport.
Hello friends and family of Angel and Erik. This is Jennifer. I am taking over the Oberswans blog today so I can share with you some tales of Gary and my visit to Tanzania this past week.

First of all, let me tell you how impressed we were with everything that Angel and Erik are doing. You already know them, so you know all about their hidden talents. Some of the things that most impressed us were the language skills that both Erik and Angel have acquired in such a short period of time.

Possibly the single most amazing thing we observed was Erik's death defying act as a dereva (driver in Swahili) while we were there. Imagine driving on the wrong side of the road (dirt roads with numerous pot holes) where oncoming traffic is often in your lane and your in their lane - all while trying to avoid the potholes. Erik was a natural.

Everyone has their own skill and Angel has been blessed with the gift of languages. In just a few short months she has mastered Swahili and can chatter away with just about anyone. It's amazing to see and hear.
In Local AttireIn Local AttireIn Local Attire

Erik and Angel receive a gift of some local clothing at a dinner at the local Italian joint
Who knew she was a polyglot? OK - those of us near and dear to her heart already knew that - but it is truly awe inspiring to see it in action.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Airstrip in the SavannahAirstrip in the Savannah
Airstrip in the Savannah

We took a chartered plane to the Saadani Safari Lodge for a 24-hour mini safari. Here we are with our pilot Stephan


Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb