A Typical Day in Lisa's African life.


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Bagamoyo
May 22nd 2012
Published: May 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I thought I would give you a small look into some of the daily things I do, so you can have a better sense of how I spend my time here:






• Get up super early (6:30am) and sometimes go for a run on the beach.
• Breakfast which mainly consists of white bread, some form of egg, and jam that tastes like candy.
• For the past couple weeks we would have Swahili lessons a couple times a week in the morning for three hours.
• In the afternoon Njavwa and I (my placement partner) would meet with Mary (our supervisor) at her house or at a coffee shop travelling by bajaj and discuss/brainstorm our work.
• For two days of the week, Njavwa, Levi and I would go to the children's home which is about an hour and a half from where we live, and stay for the night. Levi has come the past couple of times because his work thus far is kind of slow. He has taken on the task of painting the entire house where the children live.
• Meanwhile Njavwa and I work at the preschool which is on the property and have been assessing children individually. The first week we tried to teach all 80 kids between the ages of 3-6 through a translator, but it did not go over so well. So the next week we tried a different tactic of taking out 5 kids each, and assessing their learning levels with the ABCs and Numbers and recording the results. The teachers really appreciated it. We will continue doing that until all the kids are finished.
• There is a strong old British influence on the style of teaching, which means that vocal repetion is how most of them learn their alphabet and numbers. There is not much creativity to the teachings. So we have observed them, and gave some suggestions for different activities they can do.
• Things that fill our evenings at the guesthouse include movies, lectures/discussions with our prof, and readings/homework.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb