The Road Less Traveled


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Iringa
September 9th 2011
Published: October 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hitch-hiking across Tanzania is an adventurous way to travel. Meeting Andrew and Mozza (a brand new 4x4) on a self drive adventure across Tanzania a lucky turn of events.

Saving on expensive tours and set itineraries an off road adventure provides a unique and surreal experience right into the wild heart of Africa.

Being lucky enough to travel into remote villages is the desire of any extreme traveler. Dealing with dirt tracks, potholes and the fear of being stranded or hijacked the reality.

Cutting through central Tanzania from Iringa to Dodoma seemed a good idea at the time. Setting off along 215Km of 'A' road, you would expect to arrive in Dodoma before dark.

As you leave Iringa the sealed road soon turns into dirt and dust. At every corner you hope for it to get better, but it gets worse. As the dirt road turns into a track you begin to fear for your safety. As you travel deeper into bandit country your imagination begins to drift.

As the dirt track opens up with potholes, you really appreciate being in a 4x4. As you drive for hours with no other vehicles in sight, you soon realize you are on a road rarely traveled.

As you pass rural villages, poverty and religious NGOs, its hard to assess weather you would be welcomed into the African Muslim towns. Seeing burnt out and stripped down vehicles at the side of the road, you realize a break down would leave you in a world of hurt. You push on slowly, carefully navigating the potholes and tracks.

While village children dance and wave for your attention, adults stop, point and stare. As you attention drifts towards the ancient forest of baobab trees you attention suddenly returns with the screech of the breaks avoiding a cow and cart.

As the 4x4 leaves a dust trail behind, you are surprised to hear a call to prayer. Watching the villagers gather in number, you wonder how they keep their white robes so clean.

As you pass remote Masai villages, you see tribal people with guns, machetes and spears. You pinch yourself wondering if what you are seeing is real.

As nightfall descends, you begin to face the reality of camping in the bush. With bandits and kidnappers in the area, you decide to push on in the dark, slowly navigating the road less traveled.

---------------------------------------------------------
More photos below...
---------------------------------------------------------


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Baobab TreeBaobab Tree
Baobab Tree

"God got angry with Baobab so turned all of his trees upside down" - African folklore


Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 110; dbt: 0.126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb