Newsflash!!!! Geraldine Turns 60!!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » Centre » Dodoma
October 2nd 2008
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: A Birthday Song For Gerry 43 secs
Bruce being very witty in his comments at the birthday party.Bruce being very witty in his comments at the birthday party.Bruce being very witty in his comments at the birthday party.

Alison will recognize Miriam in the background. Miriam has been with the Carpenter's Kids programme for the last two years and has just headed back to New Zealand.
With a new sexagenarian in the family, it's definitely time for a blog entry and a few pics.

So, Geraldine has turned 60!! Much like the Queen, Gerry enjoyed an official birthday and then held another celebration on the actual day. Last Sunday was the official birthday so we hosted a luncheon party for about 40 people. Our friends, Jill and Brian Polkinghorne, live just across the street from our compound in a nice big house that actually feels like a house so they agreed to allow the party to be held in their home. Richard and MJ will remember attending a potluck supper there on Easter Day. It was a really nice gathering. One of the high lights was a birthday gift of song to Gerry. One of Gerry’s teaching assistants along with her daughter sang. I have included a little video clip of one of their songs. Hope it plays for you.

As it turned out, Wednesday, Gerry’s actual birthday was a holiday. October 1 was Eid, which marks the end of Ramadan, so was a national holiday here. We slept in, enjoyed a big breakfast with Karen, went for a long walk and came back to all the neighbours gathered at our place with a birthday cake and a large carafe of coffee. So, much of the morning was spent with them. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pictures of that event. We finished the day off with Chinese food at the New Dodoma Hotel - definitely the top spot for high society in Dodoma. Anyway, it was a great celebration that has finally wound down as we get back to work. Many thanks to everyone who sent their greetings. See you all soon.

Bruce and Gerry.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Gerry and our friend Raspicious Byonyu.Gerry and our friend Raspicious Byonyu.
Gerry and our friend Raspicious Byonyu.

Alison will remember Raspicious from her visit to Dodoma.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb