Day 13: Our Day at Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary


Advertisement
Published: April 17th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

Sondzela Backpackers where we stayed
Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

We woke up from our accommodation at Sondzela Backpackers to discover in our backyard warthogs grazing the grass. It finally dawned on us that we were in a sanctuary where animals had the right of way.



The Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary is Swaziland's best known nature reserve. In 1961 Ted Reilly took action to save what remained of the kingdom of Swaziland's wildlife, converting his land into a sanctuary and rounding up animals from elsewhere around the country. In the sanctuary there are no large predatory animals like lions and cheetahs or leopards. Therefore, it is safe to walk around the sanctuary as long as you stay clear of the animals and let them mind there own business.



After breakfast, Renata and I walked all the way up to the base camp where we saw various animals including monkeys and more warthogs. The highlight from our walk was when we were walking back from base camp we encountered a rock block: a zebra family standing across the road. We would have been there waiting forever for the zebras to leave when a noise from the road paving truck startled the zebras and they left the road.



We finally reached our accommodation at Sondzela Backpackers where we had lunch, relaxed by the pool and played cards and games with other VESA volunteers. In the evening we roasted s'mores by the campfire and said farewell to some of the VESA volunteers who were heading off to Mozambique that night. Today marked our last night in Africa, as tomorrow we head to Johannesburg for our flight back home to Toronto. But first we make an 8 hour pit stop in Munich Germany. See you there!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Mlilwane Wildlife SanctuaryMlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary
Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

Warthogs grazing by our accommodation
Mlilwane Wildlife SanctuaryMlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary
Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

Wildlife have the right of way
Mlilwane Wildlife SanctuaryMlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary
Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary

On our way to base camp


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb