first week


Advertisement
Swaziland's flag
Africa » Swaziland » Ezulwini Valley
July 27th 2008
Published: July 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sorry about brief entries, been a bit of trouble with the internet connection, plus there are about 20 other people using the lodge's laptop. I went to the nearby (25min walk) shopping centre, the gables, to use the internet cafe this afternoon but the connection was worse there than here at lidwala. The gables has a couple of upmarket clothes shops, cafes, restaurants, a supermarket, banks. It's where all the whites and middle class black swazis go in their air-conditioned 4x4s and mercs,to get away from their gated communities. You see v few whites anywhere else.
My daily routine is settling down a bit. We've been getting up just before 7 to get the khombi - local chaotic private minibuses - over to the site at mlindazwe, a small settlement over the other side of the ezulwini valley from our lodge. the day starts cold, below 10 degrees, but by 9 it's shorts and t-shirt. At the site, we take turns in digging out the red earth, sifting and adding water, loading the brick press, heaving on the press (got blisters 1st day). The group of 4 girls i was working with last week - Lynsey, Charlotte, Eimear and Keira - have gone off on their trip to tofo beach in mozambique (they're on a set southern africa tour run by the same people i'm volunteering through) so it's all change next week, with the next tour party on site. Maybe some bloke company. We'd been doing 4 hours a day, coming home about midday, but word came to us from the project supervisor that we should be doing 8. On thursday we went to the office and their was a bit of a confrontation. It marred the day, which had been great until then. As always, it's a matter of communication.
Getting the hang of the khombis. You just walk along the side of the road till one passes, then you point your arm straight up to go to the end of the route, or down to go part way. To get off you shout 'stesh', meaning station. Took my first solo ride to the capital, Mbabane, yesterday. On the way you climb up along the valley, along swaziland's only multilane road. Fantastic views back along the valley. The bus stop is seems chaotic at first, but soon it becomes clear that there are a few people trying their best to direct buses and direct passengers. It's dusty and noisy and busy and was my first experience of an african city. There are western-style malls and fast-food outlets (incl kfc) on one side of the centre, and smaller locals' shops on the other. Not too much to see but worth getting used to as i may have to base myself there for a day or more once i finish working. Bought a huge guava for 50p, a shirt for £4, a polo shirt for £3, and a couple of carved soapstone animals for my nephews.
Most people speak at least a little english, but i'm getting better with a few phrases. Most people seem to respond well if you make the effort.
Could have explored Mbabane for longer but had to come back to go over to Mlilwane game park with Rachel (teacher), Charlotte (med stude) and Vicky (psychologist). We were going to cycle but they had no bikes available, so we walked instead. The map reception gave us was less than useless, so we made it up as we went along. Saw zebra, small antelope-type things (!) and warthog. Great views of mountains - it's over the other side of the peaks from our lodge. Magic moment in taxi back at dusk, sky orange to dark blue, lights in the valley. Everyone went quiet and just took it in.
I've been on here over an hour, so i think it's time to take a break and catch up with the people who are filtering back from their days out. Missed out on seeing the king at the national stadium (capacity 5000) for the 40th anniversary of independence today as i wasn't up early enough and had thought it was just a church service. Enjoyed just walking round lidwala's beautiful garden, and having a bacon and egg sarny though.
Hope to do this about twice a week. We'll see how we get on...
still no way to get photos on.


Advertisement



27th July 2008

that sounds abousolutly (?) amazing omg ! hope you get some male company this week and try not to work to hard love you x
27th July 2008

Those small antelope type things were probably antelopes.
28th July 2008

wow sounds magical!
sounds like fun and an experience of a lifetime. I am very envious of all but the digging - although the feel good factor of helping people and creating something that worthwhile must be fantastic especially seeing it all first hand. Have a fab time and fingers crossed for some male company!! Take care em, rob, daisy and jack
29th July 2008

adventure
Great hearing you are enjoying the adventure,sounds hard work.Cannt get my head round the fact you are really their.We are printing your blogs for Margarete,she is eager to know how it is going.Hope you have male company soon!Mumxx

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb