what an incredible event!!


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan » North » Khartoum
June 27th 2006
Published: June 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, its probably around 9 pm for you east coast folks, but its around 6am for me here. I was extremely suprised this morning when I was blasted out of bed by the local mosque's minaret-mounted imam with a loudspeaker....I also heard the sounds of rain. It is raining, and it is raining very hard at that! For most that sounds quite trivial, and its not like the Sudan is totally arid (as it is partially within the Sahel region as oppossed to being totally Sahara-bound), but it is the first time it has rained since I have been here, and the pita-guy outside on the covered sidewalk of sorts said its the first time that its rained in a few months. It'll be nice for it to be a little bit cooler, but then it'll come with humidity...which is largely absent here, as even though it can easily get 100+ degrees, it is "dry heat", so things like shade and water actually help a whole lot...unlike typical Virginia humidity for instance, where shade only makes things slightly more bearable.

Well, enough of that, I just thought that this was something relatively momentous and cool (cheezy pun intended).

Until next time,
David

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb