The wedding


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan » North » Khartoum
December 2nd 2006
Published: December 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Wedding...


Last weekend I was invited to a wedding in Sudan although it was not a Sudanese wedding, the bride was my co-teacher at school (she is from The Netherlands) and the groom was her b/f from Morocco. It was a great mix of cultures and languages of all sorts.

I saw the bride first getting dressed and ready before the wedding, understandably nervous but at the same time very calm. Then we were on our way to the nile where the wedding was going to be held. The bride was ment to be a little bit late but we were early, so we took the 'scenic route' and drove up and down little side streets for a while until we all had enough of the 'veiw' and it was late enough to make a dramatic entrance. When the car pulled up and we were all out of the car with cameras ready to watch bride and groom meet. I felt like the paparazzi! Then we boarded the boat and slowly slowly set off down the nile. Although, it was a very slow departure as the engine conged out and the generator wasnt enough to sustain power for music and motor, but soon it was all sorted out and we set off.

The actual ceremony was very short and sweet but even more beuatiful for it. The first speech was a surprise speech by the brides mother (who had come to Sudan as a suprise visit to see her duaghter) and the second speech by a close freind of couple. They then exchanged rings and all was done. I dont think any of it had been rehersed previously making it an amazing spontaneous event. There was not a dry eye or un-smiling face on the boat as this all happened. After this came the important part, the food....Mmmmmmm, fooooood *Homer Simpson drool*...

*cough*

...after the food came the dancing. Everyone was dancing from young to old and in between. Well, not everyone was dancing but the vast majority at least danced for a little to join in the fun. The only problem was the DJ was having a little trouble with the music so we danced to the same couple of songs alot, or just part of a song over and over again!

Before you knew it we were back where we started and people were starting to leave. I was getting a lift with the bride and groom so just kept on dancing.In the end, there was only me and the bride left dancing. It was great! We didnt care what we looked like, we just enjoyed ourselves until it was time to go....

And this is "The end"

Advertisement



19th December 2006

I was there too!
Hi Rachel, I was just surfing on the web and found your story on the wedding. I enjoyed reading it. How are you doing? Jua told me that you are planning a trip to India with your mother. I'm sure it will be great fun! Hope to see you again someday, somewhere. Love, Maud, Oemie Jua

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0771s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb