Plenty to See


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
January 18th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Buck01 Buck01 Buck

Waterbuck and impalas in the wetlands.
Geo: -24.7805, 26.2697

This afternoon I went for a drive with Paul to Derdepoort Gate. He was picking up staff that were coming back from leave. The waterhole/wetlands area was very busy this afternoon. There were waterbuck, impalas, zebras, various birds and elephants swimming in the waterhole. The elephants were having a great time swimming and playing in the water. It was so cute to see them move quicker as they got closer to the water.

A few minutes later along the road I was excited to spot a lioness. She was slowly walking into the bush. Ten minutes, just after we had past the airstrip, we came across a family of warthogs. It was fun to observe them. When we stopped to look at them, they stopped eating, looked at us with their tails straight up in the air and then ran off. Again they stopped, looked at us and then ran away again. I find it very comical when they raise their trails straight up in the air, turn around and run!

We were now nearly at the gate, when we had to stop for a couple of elephants to cross the road in front of us. The little one ran across
02 Buck02 Buck02 Buck

The waterbuck and one of the impalas stopped eating to look at us.
the road, shaking his head and trunk side to side.

On the way back from the gate, we stopped to watch an adult elephant hiding behind a large bush. Only his head was visible as he ate leaves. Nothing else was seen on the way back to the lodge.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

03 Walking By03 Walking By
03 Walking By

A zebra walking by the wetlands.
04 Swimming04 Swimming
04 Swimming

Elephants swimming and playing in the waterhole.
06 By the Water06 By the Water
06 By the Water

This elephant is standing by the waterhole.
07 Mother & Calf07 Mother & Calf
07 Mother & Calf

A mother elephant and her calf are approaching the waterhole.
08 Dung Beetles08 Dung Beetles
08 Dung Beetles

There are dung beetles on either side of this ball of dung.
09 Lioness09 Lioness
09 Lioness

A lioness walking into the bush.
11 Warthogs11 Warthogs
11 Warthogs

A family of warthogs.
13 Baby13 Baby
13 Baby

A baby elephant about to cross the road in front of us.
14 Mother & Calf14 Mother & Calf
14 Mother & Calf

A mother elephant and her calf.


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb