This is it!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
October 6th 2015
Published: October 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It has been such an incredible journey in Africa! I have loved the amazing experiences we've got to enjoy.

We are in Cape Town, South Africa, for our final visit. Yesterday we went with a guide and two honeymooners from Australia down to the southern cape and out into wine country. Today we spent the morning on Table Mountain and the afternoon touring the waterfront. This area is lovely!

Highlights from yesterday were a crazy ostrich that thought his reflection in the car window was another male trying to enter his territory 😊, a visit to an incredible bay filled with cute, little penguins, incredible vistas where the oceans meet and a relaxing wine tasting visit (the guide struggled to get us back in the car on schedule). Today it was so nice to be on our feet, instead of planted on our behinds.

Now that our trip is nearing its end several people have asked us if it met our expectations and if we had favorite moments. It's more than met expectations. Coming here I had no idea what to expect as it is so different than anywhere I've been. My favorite moments were all with the special people we met in Kenya. Visiting the village in Samburu then spending time with our guide from the same tribe about what I saw was such a unique experience. The night we found the leopard, Dad's last check list item, the guide and I sat on the roof eating potato chips while we watched the leopard and her cubs (and Dad's excitement) and talked about how envious other cars must be that he found the best spot to watch. Experiencing the pride of those employed in the camps was also really inspirational. Kenya has 40% unemployment; Zambia and South Africa are only slightly better. It's a really big deal when a family member gets a good job and is able to provide support to their extended family. That support generally extends to sponsoring a younger member of the extended family to attend school.

I am ready to come home (and begin planning the next trip to Africa 😊)!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



6th October 2015

The end in site
Herold and Jennifer - what a fabulous trip you've shared. We really appreciate your sharing the amazing sights. Travel safely home, rest up a bit and then let's get together. ...pat & KB
7th October 2015

What an amazing trip you two had and such memories you made! Cant wait to see and hear it in person when you get home.
7th October 2015

South Africa
I am excited for you to plan your next visit to South Africa as I have a few amazing places to share with you. You ventured out of Cape Town to some of the same places we did. What you mentioned about the people and the tribes is so true. Love! Thank you for sharing.
7th October 2015

Beautiful pics
Jennifer you have inspired me to maybe visit Africa just from your pictures and narrative. Would love to see more pictures upon your return. Thanks for your travelogue
23rd November 2015

Wow
I FINALLY remembered to look at yiur blog and the amazing photos when I had plenty of time. So fabulous. Thank you for sharing.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb