Dip in the Devil's Pool


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
October 4th 2015
Published: October 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are in Livingstone, Zambia, named for Dr. Livingstone that first documented Victoria Falls, one of the seven natural wonders of the world.



One of the spectacular ways to see the falls is in the water right above the 350’ drop. In Africa the release forms you complete are really meant to be read and the risks stated considered; they are not simply covering their butts J.



A little landmass at the top of the falls is called Livingstone Island. This is where Dr. Livingstone first saw the falls. For a fee, a guide will take you to Livingstone Island and into the water just above the falls to a pool called Devil’s Pool. Six guests are taken out a time with two guides. One guide enters the water with you while the other balances on a rock shelf at the top of the falls and takes your picture. They have a route through the current for you to follow. The water still really moved! When we were waiting in the water we all needed to hold on to each other to keep from moving.



Once we knew we had survived, it was an exhilarating feeling to have been right at the top of such an impressive site (and sight)!



We are staying at a lodge way too romantic for a dad and daughter outing. Candlelight dinners, rose petals scattered across our beds, the opportunity to dine on a private little floating dock with dinner delivered by canoe… perfect for a romantic weekend. For us, food is great and views of the Zambezi River are delightful.



This morning we took a sunrise cruise in the river dividing Zambia from Zimbabwe. After breakfast I walked back to our cabin alone and the monkeys chased me! I am definitely in another world when I needed to yell, “Bad Monkey! Get back! Be good, monkey!”



Today we fly to Cape Town for our last three nights in Africa.

Advertisement



4th October 2015

Incredible
This trip looks absolutely amazing
4th October 2015

Victoria Falls - Wow!
It's chilly enough here that I forgot its warm there. What a thrilling spot to be. Amazing, truly amazing. Thank you for sharing, and enjoy your last days of the trip.
7th October 2015

Devil's Pool Pics
What great pictures Jennifer. So glad you shared this blog. What an adventure to have with your dad.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb