Johannesburg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 26th 2014
Published: August 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

He'll try anything onceHe'll try anything onceHe'll try anything once

Arnet eating a grilled Mopani worm- yuck!!!
Great day today.

A private driver picked us up and first, took us to a pharmacy to get meds for my sinus cold. Fortunately the compounds here are similar to home so I was able to get what I need to get to happier place health wise. Then, he drove us to the Lesedi Cultural Village which is about an hour from Johannesburg. Apparently the tourist season here hasn't quite gotten started yet so we were two of 6 persons on the tour. This cultural park is a man made rendition of villages from 5 tribes found in South Africa- Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele, Sotho and Pedi. Upon arrival, we were greeted by men in tribal attire singing a welcome song in their native language. Gosh, I love the rich sounds and bold rhythms. We got a glimpse into the culture of each tribe, their homes, the bride price for a wife (11 cows for some tribes, add a couple horses for others and 25 or more for some depending on beauty, education and ability to work hard!!!). The day was topped off with a presentation of tribal dances which we were invited to participate in followed by a meal of traditional food- goat, lamb, pork, maize, sweet potato. Arnet was adventuresome and tried the grilled Mopani worms. Yup- he did!! The cultural center in itself was not the best value for the $$ but the information provided was interesting. I don't think a person can understand a current country's situation if you don't get a little bit of the ancient culture and practices.

Our driver was a 33 year old "professional hunter" which means he hunts big game for a living- buffalo, antelope, zebra, even elephant though that has largely been stopped from what I understood. Most of his clients are from Texas. Since hunting season is done, he works, when he wants, taking tourists around to various tours. It was interesting speaking with him. Not sure how I feel about his career choice but with 25.1% unemployment! I can understand the dilemma some people might face in career choices.

We leave early tomorrow for a flight to Nairobi, Kenya so, till tomorrow then.

Mouahhhh,

MnA

Advertisement



Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb