South Africa and T.H.E B.O.M.B


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
March 4th 2013
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The first video that i chose to watch was a short frontline video on the country of South Africa. Many of us are familiar with this country because it hosted the world cup in 2010. We saw the beautiful cities and the soccer stadiums that held over 100 thousand people. Unfortunately we didnt see what most of this country is really like. This video focused in on the water problem that is occuring in South Africa and how one man is trying to fix it. The only major problem that is occuring in the country is this water problem. It is so bad that over 5 million people have no access to clean water. It doesnt take a genius to know that this clearly results in country wide sickness and disease. Because of its geography and the extremely hot tempuatures, one could even argue that having clean water here is more important than it is in other parts of the world. The video shows women walking miles just to hand pump water from a leaky contaminated well. The narrater of the film brings up a good point. If the women are spending their time walking miles and working to get water, who is at home providing for the kids and doing other things that mothers should? No one is and that is the problem. One man is on a mission to solve the water issue. He has recently came up with the idea of installing things called "Play Pumps" into playgrounds on schools and other recreational areas. These are big wheels that kids can spin in circles and have fun on while clean water is pumped up from a well. He says it has been a huge hit so far. The kids enjoy playing on them and it makes clean water more abundant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb