Mini Safari


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
June 17th 2010
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.6821, 19.5879

Today was a trial run for the Kruger National Park adventure to come in a couple weeks. A 'mini-safari' at a place called Inverdoon.

We started off at 5am, for a 3.5 hour drive out of Cape Town. One thing I was not prepared for, is the blistering cold! It was FREEZING on this drive. As we neared our destination it was evident that the mountain tops were covered in snow! Snow in Africa! Who would have thought? Apparently this area is the hottest in Africa during the summer, and the coldest in the winter. Lucky I bought my beanie along.

The safari tour itself was pretty good. It went for about two and a half hours.

There was about 15 of us crammed into an off-road-safari-jeep. It was open windowed, with no glass. We were fortunate enough to see a variety of animal from Rhinos, Giraffe, Springbok, Zebra, Wilderbeast, Cheetah and Lions.

The safari ride was followed by dinner and a trip home.

The drive home itself was quite spectacular. Beautiful scenery of townships, endless mountain faces, many with snowy tips. It baffled me how so many of the ‘Fanatics' slept the trip… missing out on some amazing views.

I write this
Dawn on the RoadDawn on the RoadDawn on the Road

I was freezing in the bus, even in jeans, shirt, jumper, coat and beanie. Then i saw snow on the mountains.
now exhausted from the gym, and ready to have a quiet night in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cheetah Cheetah
Cheetah

Our first animal found were cheetahs
Clash of ClimateClash of Climate
Clash of Climate

Two Cheetahs relax in the sun with the icy mountains behind them
Giraffe spoted!Giraffe spoted!
Giraffe spoted!

A Giraffe ambles over to say hello
Opa the GiraffeOpa the Giraffe
Opa the Giraffe

This giraffes name was 'opa' (which is dutch for grandfather). He was 28 years old, giraffes usually expected to live til about 30.
Sighing OpaSighing Opa
Sighing Opa

Opa used to be the dominant male of his 'tower' of giraffe, but no longer. He also lost his partner and friend 2 years ago, and now roams alone.
ZebraZebra
Zebra

Group of Zebra
Another GiraffeAnother Giraffe
Another Giraffe

The darker the colour of a giraffe, the older they are.
OsterichOsterich
Osterich

Not a very interesting animal
White RhinoWhite Rhino
White Rhino

Found a duo of rhino ambling along grazing.
White Rhino2White Rhino2
White Rhino2

On the wrong side of the bus, but still managed a couple good shots
Group of ZebraGroup of Zebra
Group of Zebra

Huddling close to protect the baby among them.


22nd June 2010

Sooooo cool Kris. Glad you enjoyed it. Get's cold at the Kruger too, so make sure you rug up in the early morning and evening. But layer up cause it can get warm during the day ;-)
24th June 2010

Yeah was a fun preview for Kruger! :)Couldnt believe there was snow there! was freeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing.Some awesome animals, but i still think the owls were my favourite

Tot: 0.316s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb