Aus to Ai-Ais to Springbok to Citrusdal


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
November 7th 2016
Published: November 7th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have travelled some of the roughest roads imaginable and the journey to Ai-Ais was no exception resulting in at least 4 more shredded tyres. We were among the fortunate ones but often stopped to help others with changing tyres and Mark could be found with his head under someone's van jacking the wheel up.

Fish River Canyon was magnificent and worth the trip there and we went on to the campsite which was hidden in a gorge. A huge outside spa pool was heated by a local thermal spring and as the evening was cooling down the pool was a welcome warm point of relaxation.

The next morning we were greeted by The Dawn Raiders as a group of baboons raced through the camp overturning bins and taking whatever they wanted. We saw them scaling the walls of the two-storey lodges and running across the balconies looking for spoils. Some tried their luck, unsuccessfully, to get into cars and the site was left strewn with rubbish. Because it was a bit chilly we saw no sign of the scorpions we were told to expect but personally I preferred the baboons ... much more exciting!

The next day brought us out of Namibia and back into South Africa to a pleasant site at Springbok where we saw Sunbirds and I rescued a fledgling from drowning in the swimming pool.

Today we have travelled almost 400 kms and the surroundings grew greener as we made our way through the beginnings of the wine region and are now at Citrusdal where the owner's horses graze amongst our vans. There are several cockerels on the site as well so I thing we may receive a very early and rude awakening in the morning.

Tomorrow sees us through the West Coast Park via the ocean and on to our last 3 night stop in the van at Melkbosstrand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th November 2016

Still sounding fantastic albeit not trouble free with the vans and tyres etc. So glad you are enjoying so much wildlife too, hope Simon and Claire enjoying as much as you, do pass on our best regards to them. Glad you have been making good use of that new camera, lovely pictures. All good here x

Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb