Monday 9th February 2015 - Robben Island


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
February 9th 2015
Published: February 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday 9th February: day eight - Cape Town

It is surprising how small the world is and how often you can bump into somebody you know from the UK - often from the same town or County. Today, we had the pleasure to meet with Barry and Mandy, friends of Geoff's from Halifax. We had arranged to meet for the the boat trip and guided tour of Robben Island. This being the infamous island that Nelson Mandela was imprisoned on for 27years. We had a very informative guide who was also an ex prisoner on the island and gave quite an emotional account of the conditions in prison during that time.

Robben island was discovered by the Dutch and initially used for whaling purposes, it then became the property of the British and was used as a small prison for banishing people, hiding lepers away and a home for the mentally insane.

Altogether an interesting trip made so by the guides with a passion for their country and against the injustices carried out before Apartheid finished.

The late afternoon me evening were spent with our friends Barry and Mandy exploring Cape Town central and the famous 'Long Street' with some rather interesting balconies and different food, wine and beer being served.

INTERESTING FACT: "Robben Eiland" is Dutch for Seal Island - as they found it totally covered in seals.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0268s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb