Tuesday 10th February 2015 - Cape Town to Gordons Bay


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
February 10th 2015
Published: February 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 10th February: day nine - Cape Town/Gordon's Bay .



Today was 'another move on day!'. We had thought, that spending four days in any one place at any one time would work well . Our four days were passing so fast, plus - carrying suitcases in and out of the car, disassembling the cycle and then putting everything back together - makes it worth stopping for a while!

Our stay at the "Big Blue Backpackers" had worked well. It was central and near many of the attractions. Sharing a bathroom with several others had worked well - there was no queuing and everything was clean: For a double room in central Cape Town, at approx £25 a night no complaints...

'A day of very normal activities' - a quick flurry of collecting clean washing plus repairs to clothing done by local Taylor's, A quick visit to Geoff's bank, ABSA, to do a few necessary transactions ..... Not !!! (An enquiry about possible investments took 10 minutes but a straight forward change of address 1 whole hour! )

Finally, before leaving Cape Town, Geoff collected his cycle, after a service/adjustment/improvement season, at a great expense (£70.00 for new dérailleur fittings, total service, including bearings being greased; steering checked; chain cleaned and gears sorted - to improve performance for the great race...... ) The rider is unfortunately in need of a little more improvement on performance though.... Judith is trying very hard to encourage in this department!!!!



Seriously though. The value for money in S Africa is generally excellent. Getting things done like altering clothing, washing clothing and servicing a cycle is less than half the price in the UK.

Getting fit and staying fit is another matter - the food plus wine is so good and plentiful that you have to make a conscious effort to keep well/fit.



Our trip to meet with Nick and Dena, at their lovely home in Gordon's Bay involved travelling along the N2 which is pretty much all motorway..... But the motor ways include very young children walking along the hard shoulder unaccompanied, and parents walking along and across the carriageway .... It's a little scary. But it seems to work for them.....



Our hosts on Gordon's Bay have a delightful property and three very individual dogs, (two grey hounds named after jockeys) and a Doberman named "Henry". Who is really a female dog: all are characters and if you like dogs you'd get on well with them....



INTERESTING FACT: Gordon's Bay has a very large 'G and B' ( with the silhouette of an anchor between the G & B ) scorched into the hillside above the village.... You might think this means Gordon's Bay, but it actually means "General Botha" who was head of the sea school many years go in Gordon's Bay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb