Wine Country


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
December 24th 2011
Published: December 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A short drive from Cape Town you will find the lush wineland spread over thousands of kilometers with green valleys amongst the moutains dotted with vine yards and wine farms - each more pretty than the last.



We visited the town of Stellenbosch and in particular the Spier wine estate (another Auntie B reccomendation). We started off with a wine tasting session (this is not yet midday and we have barely had a piece of toast for breakfast - *hic*). The wines were ok but not really our taste (which really is saying something as Mark and I have completely different taste in wine and we couldn't find one that either of us liked).



We then continued into Moyo - The Spier's own African adventure restaurant. Our table was up in a tree and the food served in a giant marquee with stall after stall of food. With a cocktail in hand and the most delicious food you could imagine (by far the most tasty meal so far), African drummers and dancers and being seranaded by an African singing group - it was an experience to remember.



After lunch we drove on to Franschoke and checked into our hotel. We strolled down the quaint main road. Despite it being Christmas eve the sun was blazing and all the boutique style shops were open. Perfect afternoon for a mooch around.



We barely let our lunch digest when it was time for dinner. Heute Cabriere is a lovely restaurant set inside a cave on top of a hill. The views were stunning particularly during sunset. The food was amazing and as we chose the 'pairing menue' (a popular option in many restaurants especially in the Wine Estates - where each dish is paired with a particular wine) we were rather merry by the end of the meal.




South African Specialties Count:

Angel Fish

Smoked Snoek

Gem Squash





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0728s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb