Stellenbosch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
November 24th 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Stellenbosch Camp SiteStellenbosch Camp SiteStellenbosch Camp Site

Background just outside the site
We decided to stop off before Cape Town to sample some of the local wine. The Mountain Breeze campsite was set amidst very tall trees, there were mountains in the background but difficult to see, you know you can never see the mountain for the trees! (sorry). Lots of wildlife again, but this time it was squirrels and rabbits, although I don't think the rabbits were of the wild type.

All the wine tours were fully booked so we decided to take our own. We started off in Stellenbosch itself for coffee, just to get the feel of the place, it has a lovely vibe, I suppose because of the University and winelands. We went to the Blauwklippen (I hope I spelt that right) for wine tasting. We got a wineglass to keep engraved with the Wine Farm name and a taste of 5 different wines, all for less than 2 pounds each. We each tried different wines so tried 10 wines in all - lovely. It was actually quite fun to taste the different wines and we could pretend to know what we were doing, none of that spitting out though, I've paid for it so I'll drink it!
Camping FoodCamping FoodCamping Food

Roast chicken and South African wine - you can't beat it
We then had lunch in the grounds, different cheese and cold meats - with a glass of their wine of course.

We then went back to camp for afternoon tea and a short break, you only get a little taster of the wine but all those glasses add up. We then decided to have another taster session for sundowners so went to another vinyard close by which was Klein Zalze. The full day wine tours visit 5 places, I dread to think what I would have been like had we actually done that, the 2 we visited with lunch in between was ideal.

The campsite was quite different to the other two we had stayed in, this was a commercial one and although it was still very nice we were much closer together and the caravan on one side and the camper van that parked on the other obviously needed to be as close as possible to the electric point we were pitched nearby as we could have touched both of them without moving from our bed! It did mean I had to rig up a curtain - but hey, improvise is my middle name. I think they were all a bit interested as to where we were going to sleep.

The caravan owner also had one of those voices that everyone can hear what they say, we were going to leave really early and have to rev the car quite a bit first but did not bother in the end. Live and let live and all that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb