Karoo National Park


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Free State
November 22nd 2007
Published: November 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Red BishopRed BishopRed Bishop

Karoo birds were beautiful and plentiful
Next stop was just outside Beaufort West. The Karoo National Park is a lovely site, really 5 star and they are still working on it. We arrived in the pouring rain so waited for it to stop before starting to set up camp. We put up the gazebo before deciding that actually that site over there looked better, so we started to move but on second looks decided that the site opposite looked even better. It really is true that the longest part of setting up camp is agreeing where to put the tent.

Eventually we set up, you note that I don't say pitch the tent because we have decided that sleeping in the cab is very comfortable, and why bother with canvas when we have everything we need including radio, light, air conditioning (yes I know I am stretching it a bit) and a double bed with the seats laid flat. We don't need to bother about rain leaking in, wind blowing us down, and when it is time to leave we just put the seats up and off we go. Oh and for tea in bed in the morning we can just raise the back of the
Huge TortoiseHuge TortoiseHuge Tortoise

These came out during the day, I don't know where they went when they disappeared.
seat.

The camp in the Karoo park was amazing for birdlife, we were surrounded by red bishops, weavers, sparrows, thrushes, the colours were amazing. We visited the bird hide where we watched the weavers building their nests, we took a game drive and although there is not a lot of game we did see the Cape Mountain Zebra and some Springbok.

We also took the Kilpspringer trail in the 4 x 4 which goes up the side of the mountain and over the top. Now Andy is not keen on heights at all and he has been doing remarkably well, there were one or two times when he wasn't sure but to his credit he kept going - unless it was just that the thought of me taking over and driving back was even worse to consider. The trail does have some hair raising moments but the scenery is breathtaking.

We had a little more wildlife in the camp with some mongoose (or is that mongooses? mongeese? - same old question) and some enormous leopard tortoises who appeared after breakfast and then disappeared again.

Weather was changeable but we had a couple of very nice evenings and so far have sat around the fire every night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb