Boschendal for the masses


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
May 3rd 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

But still some time for more wine tasting!

Franschoek, our original plan is off the menu as its too far and there are road works so instead we go to Boschendal, which I’d heard good things about (not the wine necessarily but the setting - perhaps I’ve not really understood the point of this wine tasting lark?!). It’s a sprawling estate including a cafe and restaurant as well as vineyards and a handful of buildings in the Cape Dutch style. You can order picnic hampers to eat on the shaded lawns but we weren’t that organised and they were sold out so we ate in the cafe, opposite the fragrant herb garden, and gorged ourselves on blue cheese, brie, fresh bread and homemade lemonade. Hubba hubba.


feed me now...
For the wine tasting, we sat at iron wrought tables and chairs around a handsome courtyard under the shade of trees but the set up was more DIY. We were given a descriptive list of the wines and invited to choose the ones we wanted so we didn’t have the personal service as experienced at Delaire’s or Rustenberg (though the larger tour parties did have their own wine M.C.)

Probably because it was our third winery and quite similar to Rustenberg (but on a larger scale) we were less awestruck and felt more like part of the tourist rabble. Still, it was lovely and we bought a Blanc de Noir, a white wine that’s pink. Does make it a Rose? I don’t know, it was quaffable and that was all I cared about.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb