Wine Tasting in Stellenbosch


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Stellensbosch winelandsStellensbosch winelandsStellensbosch winelands

Although it was cloudy and gray, you can see how pastoral the land is.
Saturday, Professor Uphoff (the coordinator of our trip), had organized a group wine tasting tour of the Stellenbosch region just outside of Cape Town. A lot of South African wine is produced here, and my professor is really in love with the wine here, so we knew it was going to be a good time. I have to admit, I was a bit apprehensive about taking off for a wine tasting tour at 9am, but seeing as how we had an hour long bus ride, and a talk about the different winemaking processes, I only started consuming wine at 11:15 am, which is only moderately alcoholic.

The first winery we went to was called Lounsford, and was the biggest winery we visited. Very commercial, but the grounds were well maintained and quite beautiful, with peacocks strolling across the lawn. The Stellenbosch Mountains were in the background, and the sun was shining (for the only time the entire day). Unfortunately, I was not that impressed with the wine there. They had a nice Syrah, but the whites were disappointing. At this point, everybody was still being pretty well-behaved.

We had almost another hour in the bus on the way
The group wine tasting experienceThe group wine tasting experienceThe group wine tasting experience

Our group at the first winery. We were still behaving well.
to the second winery, which was small and family owned. I do not get carsick or seasick very easily, but I really thought I was going to throw up on this bus ride. It was very bumpy (the roads quite possibly have more potholes than Gainesville or New Orleans), and the roads were very windy. Also, Professor Uphoff had promised us 88 degree weather…he lied. It was definitely cold, and I was wearing a tshirt. So, my general strategy to combat the weather was to just drink enough wine so I didn’t notice the cold (wine jacket, anybody?).

It was pretty easy to do so at this winery, as they were doing free pours instead of measured pours. They let us try basically anything on the menu apart from their set tasting menu, and I ended up buying a bottle of Chardonnay and a bottle of Merlot from them for next to nothing. Other people hated the Merlot, but I was generous enough to offer to help them get rid of it, rather than tossing it in the dump bucket. Sante, Dan, and Kenny seemed to have the same tactic, and pretty soon we were sitting outside giggling.
Syrah, anyone?Syrah, anyone?Syrah, anyone?

Yay for artsy pictures of wine glasses.

Finally our Professor ushered us along to the third (and final) winery. At this point, total debauchery had begun on the bus. I kind of thought that maybe a group of law students would be adult enough to handle a day full of the sole purpose of drinking alcohol, but that was really overly optimistic. Let’s just say that if there were any open container laws in South Africa, we broke them (with the encouragement of our professor), and by the time we got to the third winery, not many of us were in any shape to actually be able to distinguish among wines.

After the third winery, where I also spent probably too long of a time “tasting” the wares, I slept the entire way back to our houses. I had grand plans of going out with students from the Missouri program last night, as it was their last night in Cape Town, but alas, bed was better.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Grape vinesGrape vines
Grape vines

They finished harvesting the grapes back in April, so the vines are all bare and creepy looking.
The terrible twoThe terrible two
The terrible two

Dan and Sante, facing off in the third winery.
The HoffThe Hoff
The Hoff

Professor Uphoff's alter ego.


24th June 2007

btw, i forgot to tell you that i loved your "indie album cover" from the previous entry! =) hehe. lol. but anyway, i've spent the last few minutes trying to think of a jacket or warm thing that starts with w so that you could have a "wine warmer" but that sounds gross, so i gave up. i havent actually been to a wine tasting ever before and after reading what you have to say, i think i want to partake (although i've heard that you normally swish and spit, but i say that's for pansies) ;) miss you! xoxoxo
25th June 2007

sounds rough
well after spending a day sitting on planes or in Atlanta hartsfield a wine tasting trip sounds fun, We just got in and were glad to read the last two blogs, but you still aren't saying much about class. Do you go or are they dull? We had a wonderful week in Aspen but nothing lie the globe trotting you are doing, we just ate and drank and saw Earth Wind and Fire in concert. Miss ya
26th June 2007

w(h)ining
Your wine tasting escapades (3 wineries in a few hours, one with 'unlimited tasting') describe enough alcohol consumption to take down a bull elephant, much less some eager, 20-twentysomething law students. You can be in training to hit the Napa Valley some day. Nice, however, to learn to appreciate some wines other than Manischewitz.
28th June 2007

Yay for Syrah!
See?! Told you they make good syrahs. Am glad to hear you bought some good wine. Just check the customs laws when you come back. When I went to France, the limit coming back is only 2 bottles. (But me and Alex carried 4. We were lucky we didn't get caught!)
28th June 2007

wahhooo
I just got back from the France. Charles de Gaulle is really the shittiest airport. I mean...wtf is up with the terminals? It really does take 2 hours to do anything. I smuggled back in a champagne bottle that is the equivalent of 4 bottles of champagne. It is a thing of great beauty. Hope you are having fun!!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.092s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb