Day seven


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
July 24th 2010
Published: July 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last night we ate at a place called Cubaña: lovely food and lots of very cheap cocktails. The Marine at Hermanus was a wonderful place and they strived to look after us well. We were a bit early in the season to see many whales but we got to see a few from the shore both humpback and southern right. Yesterday we posted a picture of the whale crier, who is employed at Hermanus for the season. We were fortunate to see the whale that heralded the only sounding of his kelp horn (a round horn made out of seaweed) that day. There had been some debate as to which were better: vuvuzelas or kelp horns; the kelp horns won, as it is possible to get more than one tone out of them.

Today we have travelled from Hermanus to Tsala, a long way on very straight boring roads. Perhaps it would have been less boring had it not been a typical winter’s day: cloudy and drizzly. The mountainous route promised to be spectacular had we been able to see the mountains. We decided to stop at George which is supposedly a historic town, however it seems to close down at 1pm on Saturdays and it reminded me of downtown areas of cities in the States that I have no wish to visit again, which was a shame.

The hotel where we are staying for next couple of nights more than makes up for the journey today. I am writing this from in our treehouse, yes that’s right a treehouse, with its own deck complete with a very feet numbingly cold (I didn’t venture any further and it is winter) infinity pool, lounge with wood burning stove, bathroom and two bedrooms. Oh and I have a glass of port to hand in case you were wondering...




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb