Ostrich Country


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Oudtshoorn
March 13th 2007
Published: March 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Tezz at Mossel Bay Tezz at Mossel Bay Tezz at Mossel Bay

Looking from the cave/cliffs
After spending a lovely 4 nights in Stellenbosch we headed back to the coast to Mossel Bay. At Mossel Bay we checked out the beach where all the local surfers hang out and the cliffs and caves along the coastline. There's not much else to do at Mossel Bay, and the weather wasn't good so the next day we got on our little bus and headed to the highly recommended Oudtshoorn, a little further inland again.
We had planned to stay 3 nights in Oudts but on arrival we were told that the 4th night is free so we thought what the hell - 4 nights it is! The first day we arrived pretty late so we really only had the chance to pitch the tent, have dinner, and practice our pool playing skills at the bar. The second day was a different story... At about 8.30am we all piled into the shuttle bus and drove for about an hour up to Swartberg Pass. At the top we couldn't see a thing and it was freezing due to the fact that we were literally in the clouds. From Swartberg Pass we flew down the mountain (some faster than others!) on our bikes. This was the start of our 53km journey back home. That's right 53km! - 22 downhill, 30km on flat road, and only 1km uphill (thank god for that). On our way home we stopped in at the Cango Caves. I wasn't prepared to do the "Adventure Tour" which required crawling through the tight spots for 90 minutes in the dark, so we settled for the "Standard Tour" which Tezz refers to as "wheelchair friendly" due to the paths that you walk along. The caves inside are so eerie, but awesome to see - look at the photos at how big some of them are.

After 2 tyre punctures and 30km of head wind we made in back to the backpackers at about 4pm - with some very sore bums! The next day was spent recovering by the pool.

On our fourth day we went to the Cango Wildlife Ranch where I made Tezz pay R135 (only about $27) to spend some time with the big cats - the cheetahs. Although these guys were sleeping they are amazing to touch and see up close - the one I'm patting is named Forest. (Are you jealous Carly?) We also
Die TopDie TopDie Top

Neetz at "the top" of Swartberg Pass
saw cheetah cubs, white lions, and a jaguar which were all beautiful - it's just ashame we had to see them in the cages.

I loved staying here, the people are so nice and there's so much to do. I will never forget the ride, especially with the ostriches running beside us, and the little kids giving you high fives and running along side your bike. Another awesome experience to add to the list.

Neetz

From here we go to Wilderness - back along the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Swartberg PassSwartberg Pass
Swartberg Pass

Neetz riding down - still in the clouds
SexySexy
Sexy

like my helmet?
The viewsThe views
The views

this is on our way home, a beautiful day
Cango CavesCango Caves
Cango Caves

This was the first and biggest chamber
Neetz with the CheetahsNeetz with the Cheetahs
Neetz with the Cheetahs

My name's Forest, Forest Gump
The African toothpickThe African toothpick
The African toothpick

thorn tress are everywhere here
Neetz with a baby impalaNeetz with a baby impala
Neetz with a baby impala

it's actually just a Billy Goat


16th March 2007

What a great life!
Hey guys, it sounds like you're having a great time. I really appreciate the updates. Enjoy! Ian
18th March 2007

SO Jealous
Of course I am jealous of you petting the Cheetahs! AHHHHHH! I can't wait to see you guys and hear about all your adventures...i love reading it all. Makes life back in the USA seem very normal and dull...i miss Australia SO much already. haha. Love you guys!
20th March 2007

FREE BEER
Hey guys, looks tops but Neetz, I don't think you'll be bringing one of those cute kitty cats back with you, same goes for any Zulu men.-SORRY Cheers, Dazza.
1st April 2007

Awesome
Great to read about your adventures, it looks like you're having an awesome time. with 53 km bike rides you sure don't need to go to a gym. Take care, Deano.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb