The bakkie is back and we are off!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Noordhoek
August 10th 2011
Published: August 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Loch Ness Monster?!Loch Ness Monster?!Loch Ness Monster?!

A Whale having a look at us on the beach
K- We have enjoyed our time in Cape Town very much - despite being forced to endure 4 days in the Winelands whilst the bakkie was with Mitsubushi getting a (very long) service. See Mark's blog for a full description of the Stellenbosch ordeal!

After leaving the Winelands on Sunday we traveled down to Hermanus, a beach town to the South which is famous for the many whales that come there every Winter. We stayed there a couple of nights and saw several whales as we picnicked along the shore in the sunshine. However, as usual the pictures were more of blank sea than whales sticking their heads or flippers in to the air so you will have to take my word for it (Trivia fact: the Southern Right whale has flippers instead of a dorsal fin).

The most exciting event of the week however is the fact that the bakkie is back, the final items have been squeezed on it and into it and tomorrow morning at 7am we start our big adventure - camping our way through Namibia and Botswana for anything up to 8 weeks. I have enough dried and tinned food to last for 8
Flipper!Flipper!Flipper!

It was more dramatic a split second before!
months "just in case" and at Mark's insistence we also have 2 tents in case a hippopotamus sits on one. This could also be useful if 8 weeks camping proves a little intense and we each need some personal space!

Per the guide books camping reservations are strongly advised at this time of year and as we have none we are winging it a little - which is all we could do because until we actually collected the truck today we couldn't be sure D-Day would be tomorrow. We still nearly fell at the last hurdle - despite several calls and promises the garage wasn't quite ready when Mark & Steve arrived and after waiting in vain for the bill they virtually had to kidnap the vehicle from Mitsibushi, leaving Michelle's car as hostage so they could get to police HQ and get a police certificate issued before they closed for the day. This certificate is technically required to allow us to take the vehicle over the borders - none of us think it will actually be looked at but of course if you don't have it, that will be the day they want it.

But all the stresses of getting ready are now behind us and we are ready for the next stage of our travels. A big thanks to Steve, Michelle and Chloe for being such lovely hosts on our extended visit (we expected to leave a week ago!). We are not sure what our internet access will be like over the next few weeks but will blog whenever we can.








Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



20th August 2011

How's it going?
Hey, how are you?

Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb