Safari Park - Friday

South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Mossel Bay
November 26th 2016
Published: November 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Left villa at 10 to drive to Safari Park and discovered it was 5 hour drive instead of the 4 we thought. At this stage we wondered how we ever thought this was good idea. The Honda packed up with no view from rear window due to suitcases. Eventually arrived just after 3.30 only to discover we were too late for afternoon drive. However, place is lovely as is our luxury "tented" accommodation. Went for a wee snooze then went down for dinner which was definitely 5 star. In bed by 10 as will get alarm call at 5.15 to be ready for pick up at 5.45am. Forgot to mention that to get to our tent we have to cross a wee river and we do this by going on a pontoon bridge which is a section of metal bridging on drums then we have to pull rope to get over. Chockey usually pulled us over while Fred enjoyed the view..

Up at 5.15 and tent was freezing so quick wash of the face and dressed as quickly as possible. Met our driver,Silas who was from Zimbabwe.We were only four on his jeep so was quite good. Silas was very informative and entertaining. However, we all agreed was no comparison to safari we had eight years ago - more like a large Blair Drummond. The afternoon drive was good and there were three other couplEs on jeep. On this trip we got up quite close to animals. Stopped for a drink (alcoholic) and nibbles. So there we were enjoying our drink when we saw two rhinos moving towards us. Silas was as cool as a cucumber and was serving a second round of drinks when the rhinos came right up close. I was thinking oh my god what if they charge us but the cool Silas just told us to clap our hands to scare them - really- is that all it takes. We had to do this three times but they were determined to get round us to a pile so hay so we had to get on jeep with drinks in hand. We made our way back and as the park is very hilly some of the tracks were quite steep so was a real white knuckle drive - thought I was on ride at Links Market!

Had dinner but we were all so tired we were in bed by nine and lights out by ten - this was because V and I didn't sleep last night and without sleep well, a gal just can't go on.

Up early for breakfast and left by 10 on our way to see Claudine's and Francis.

PS still have photos to upload for previous entries.

Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Tot: 1.361s; Tpl: 0.047s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb