3rd stop on Route - stuck in the 70's


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Mossel Bay
May 15th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The evening of Gary's 40th saw the guesthouse put 4 candles on a cheesecake and the owner bring out his guitar
to sing happy birthday...badly.
An impromptu speech to a random bunch of strangers from New Zealand, Canada, London and Manchester was called for by the guesthouse owners
- how embarrassing!
The next day we drove down to Port Agulhas - the Southern Tip.
For a while Jill and Gary were the 2 southernmost people on the huge continent of Africa, the next bit of land south is Antarctica!
Needless to say a couple of German tourists came along and annexed the area within 10 minutes.
A 3 hour drive along the coast took us to Mossell Bay our next stop.
Mossell Bay is just starting off as a tourist destination and you can see why - there's nowt to do!
To say this place is stuck in the 80's would do it an injustice it is in fact stuck in the 70's. 'Taches are de-rigour on all blokes, but best of all the prices are still 1977.
We bought one of the most expensive bottles of wine in a great fish restaurant last night and it cost all of £5.50! Yep - the prices still amaze.

Today 15th May we took a boat out to seal island a most surreal experience considering there were 8 people on the boat and 3 of those were the crew……
and the chug out and around the seal colony was accompanied by Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Alice Cooper over the PA. I think the irony of “Smoke on the Water” was lost on the cigarette toting chain smoking captain.
We took a walk along the cliff edge hiking trail for a good 5 or 6Km walk then headed back for a well deserved beer.
Animals spotted today include Rock Dassies, Seals, guard dogs and a huge school of dolphins (we think).
Anyway were off out to eat some Ostrich Steaks now - update in the next few days!



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb