Tortoise rescue, Baileys go on safari and lots of sunshine


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Knysna
March 3rd 2011
Published: March 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Bill and Karen are now on there way to the Winelands via the Little Karoo. It was very sad to see them go knowing we will not see them for another 3 months. But we have had the best time and shared a very special holiday.

This week we have enjoyed several breakfasts over looking the ocean, a drive through the Phantom Pass (off road), named after the Phantom butterfly. We never saw the butterfly but the views over Knysna and out the heads was wonderful. We had a great meal in a pub called The Bell, the oldest pub in Knysna. It was by the lagoon and surrounded by Lavender. Just so relaxing. The area was called Belvidere and it is the prettiest place I have ever seen. It had a village green, no cars allowed and the gardens were full of bright, beautiful trees and plants. The kind of place that makes you go Arh!! I could live here!

Karen and Bill went off to Plettenburg Game Reserve and managed to see all of the big 5. The reserve are working towards only having indigenous plants and trees. It seems anything grows in SA and it is not always best for the animals. So all the Eucalyptus trees are being felled.

We learnt about rescuing tortoise; if you find one on the road, pick it up and help it cross over! One of the golfers Mike played with was renting a house on Pezula; they had a patio door open and were terrified as a baboon came into the house and swiped a bunch of bananas. It then sat on the terrace, ate the bananas and wandered off leaving a messy pile of skins. It is Africa but the baboons can be dangerous and we have been told they need to be avoided.

We had a quick visit and tasting to Mitchells micro brewery. They are one of very few brewers in S Africa making 'live' beer using only natural ingredients, which has a shelf life of just 4 weeks. It tasted great and we were served by a lady from Derbyshire.

Having busy days we have just tended to have BBQs in the evening and chilled out on the deck. I think I have won at cards once!

The boys have played several different golf courses and Mike is writing a seperate blog so as not to bore the non golfers!

SA has proved to be a wonderful, stunningly beautiful place. We have only scratched the surface and I have no doubt we will return.

We travel to Perth on Saturday so will add some photos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb