Birthdays, Golf, Dolphins and Elephants!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Knysna
February 26th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

What a week!

We all played the par 3 course on Sunday. Bill and I lost but had great fun. A pair of Crowned Plovers, protecting a nest decided I was not going to play one of my shots - I agreed!

Bill and Mike played Simola on Tuesday. The course is set high on a mountain with panoramic views, Jack Nicklaus designed, 6401 metres (add about 10% for yards) and par 72. According to Mike probably the best course he has played so far. The greens are championship standard and 3 putting was almost inevitable sometimes. The hotel, service and halfway house were all superb. We paid about 50 pounds to play, including a buggy and meal so not bad value as a treat.

Later that day we decided to walk the coast by Brenton on Sea (not far from here) and see if we could find the Brenton Blue butterfly. We didnt manage that but we had the most fantastic walk (saw about 6 people over 5K). We did spot a rare African Black Oystercatcher. Mike and Bill are becoming birders, both keeping lists and constantly stopping the car to look at birds.

Wednesday saw us up and out early as it was hot and we had a date planned with some orphaned elephants. Knysna Elephant Park was truly wonderful. It made us all smile and being so close to such a fantastic animal was a real treat. You were able to spend time just being around them in the fields. We had a keeper to just the four of us so it was very special. Poaching is still a problem in parts of Africa; the youngest orphan had come from near the border between SA and Botswana, where it's mother had been killed. Our keeper explained their genes are evolving to the extent they are now grower much smaller tusks, just one or none at all.

Thursday - BIRTHDAYS. Karen and Bill had wrapped a few pressies for us to open which was fun! my first sweets for nearly two weeks..... We opened all our cards - Thank you - we had lots and felt very lucky to have great family and friends. After cards, balloons and banners (provided by my sister and Helen) the house looked very cheerful. Our birthday day out was to Plattenburg Bay. We went on a boat ride to see Dolphins, Whales (managed to see two) and lots of birds and seals. The ride along the coast was worth the trip alone. It was great fun and we all got very wet in the boat. We chose an eco company that also did research and protection. They were very enthusiatic and offered lots of info. In the afternoon we swam in the sea on a beach with about 8 others on it. Everywhere is so quiet and beautiful.

Our birthday meal was at a place suggested by our hosts. It was called The Phantom Forest Eco Reserve. www.phantomforest.com What a memorable night. It is about 8k from here, a small resort (for want of a better word) set in the forest with wooden walkways. You arrive at the gates and it is a 5 minute drive up into the forest which offers views over the whole of Knysna lagoon. We sat and had a drink and then went into a small dining area for our set 6 course meal. The whole place was built of wood, the lighting was all fires pits and lamps. The food was out of this world. The best meal I have ever eaten. The highlight for Bill was the Gin and Tonic sorbet (!) but for me it was the pan seared Tuna. Mike had organically farmed Impala; not everyone's choice but delicious. Every course offered something different and was a delight to eat. After dinner we sat by the fire pit and had coffee. You just felt very relaxed. A night we will never forget.

Yesterday the boys played golf at Plattenburg Bay Country Club and Karen and I went and had breakfast on the beach.

It has been a great week. Sun every day, we have only eaten one meal inside since we arrived.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb