Settling into our house swap


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Knysna
February 16th 2011
Published: February 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

No jet lag. What a wonderful start to our holiday.

In our house (that we have swapped) we have the use of an old PC so it is great for keeping up with e mails but there is no facility for photographs or skype; we will add photos when we get to Kerry's house in Perth. We have the use of a small renault, which is left hand drive and in SA they drive on the left so just like the UK. Not much traffic so very easy.

Our hosts left a very comprehensive guide to the house and local ameneties. So off we set to "Woolworths". Mike was all set to check out all the local beers! oops. Supermarkets dont sell beer. So we found a beer shop, by now it was 5pm on Saturday and they were shut!!! And not open again till Monday morning. So no beer for Mikey.... a lesson learnt.

We have been out and found all 3 of the local golf courses. We went to Knysna Golf Club for coffee (2.50 including cake). (All prices are converted to UK GBP). It costs the equivalent of 37 to play and is a parkland course, lots of water, we have been advised to bring plenty of balls.

Just next door is Pezula. Wow, that is very posh, a championship course. Lovely hotel and club. They were very welcoming and we had a look around. 70 to play, including cart and lunch.

No stopping us so onto Simola, the golf course we can see from the deck. By now it is late afternoon, so we decided to stay and have a drink on their balcony. Again really welcoming and the cost was about the same as Pezula. I liked it as it had a great pool and the hotel was fantastic. So now it is up to Mike to choose which course he would like to play for his (50th) birthday treat.

As we have been to SA before we decided not to travel too many miles, we are going to enjoy the area we are staying in. We went to the local beach, Buffalo Bay, about 20 minutes by car. It was wonderful. Miles of long sandy beach. Hardly anyone in sight and 10 degrees cooler, over 30 at the house today. A couple of people sufing and kayaking. We had a long walk around the coast, passing only 8 people. I thought of Helen, who I know loves a good beach! A place we will return.

Nearby we found a par 3 golf course. Its only 5 to play and the owners said we can play as many holes as we like. Go have a swim and come back again so that may suit the golfers who don't want to get too involved on the bigger courses.

The highlight for Mike thus far has been the amazing birds that visit the garden to use the drinking and washing facilities in the fountain (Rog you would love it!). I have to add Mike built a hide in the lounge (chairs and a towel, like a den you built as a child). But it worked and we got very close. If you want to look up just one bird online try the 'Greater double collared sunbird'.

We have spoken to Karen and Bill. They are making their way to us and arrive on Friday. We know today they are out on their Great White Shark adventure!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb