A day of two halves...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Kalk Bay
April 29th 2007
Published: April 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Where am I?  Anyone?  Any clues?Where am I?  Anyone?  Any clues?Where am I? Anyone? Any clues?

Errrmmmmm.....not sure.
Todays plan...Robben Island, the prison encampment where Nelson Mandela was an inmate; Table Mountain and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.

What actually happened.......

None of the above!!!!!

Its raining.......again.......lots........! And its misty, so off we trotted in our faithful chariot Cara Corsa! First stop, Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, where we had just missed the ferry for Robben Island so settled into Harries Pancakes for late breakfast/early elevenses. Sweet apple & cinnamon pancakes for Hannah, Malva Pudding for Lizzie (a bit like hot syrup sponge) and a glass of still mineral water for Pam!! Yum!!! Once finished, we headed down to the jetty, and spoke to the ticket sales person only to be informed that the weather conditions were so bad that the tour wasn't running! You don't hear the Gosport ferry giving up like that...such wimps! Honestly!!!

Rather than admitting defeat and leaving, we wandered through the shops and then headed back to the car to come up with a plan b. Due to the weather, and the fact that it wasn't clearing any time soon, the chances of Table Mountain being open for visitors were slim to none! Plan B consisted of driving through the centre
It does exactly what it says on the tin!!!It does exactly what it says on the tin!!!It does exactly what it says on the tin!!!

Message from Llandudno beach.
of Cape Town (not as scary as it sounds!) until we found a sign we liked the look of and then we detoured! This, we've decided, is what roadtrips should be about! No decisions and lots of fun!

We ended up retracing our steps of Friday's tour in reverse, but it all looked so very different in today's rain! We came across Llandudno again and as we only skirted through on Friday, decided to go for a closer look. The pictures do it no justice!!! We found the BEST beach! Sand...rolling high waves and loads of big rocks for climbing on and exploring! Plus lots of shells to collect...check us out Mummy B!!! We were probably there, playing for the best part of an hour until the rain got so heavy we had to, very reluctantly, leave!

Venturing inland, we headed back to Nordhoek and stopped in a Garden Emporium (garden centre, in other words!) Then back to Chill and Surf for a lazy evening before our early start to the Safari tomorrow.

Then the second half of our day begins...

We pulled up and parked outside the hostel, unpacked the car and were walking back
Surfing SeagullSurfing SeagullSurfing Seagull

Seagull native to Llandudno (in South Africa, not Wales).
up to the dorms when there was a loud bang. We turned around just in time to see the glass shatter in the back windscreen! Fortunately, noone was hurt! Ten minutes earlier and it may have been a different story! Next came a barrage of phone calls to i-to-i, the car hire company (Around-about-cars...don't use them...we haven't been lucky!) and garages to see if anyone could come out to fix the glass. Unfortunately we had no sucess, so we rang the safari company and they were great...luckily we've been able to postpone our safari until next weekend. So although we lose money on the car, we don't lose that aswell!

So the day ends with two girlies who until an hour ago were very miffed with the days events...but now that rationality has kicked in and everything is sorted(ish!) we are both feeling much better and not so in need of parental hugs! We've decided in our wise and mature states, that what doesn't get us, can only make us stronger...Hannah and Lizzie...WE ARE MIGHTY!!!



and Cara Corsa is pants!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Naughty Sea!!!Naughty Sea!!!
Naughty Sea!!!

Don't chase me, these are my best clothes!!!
Welsh rock...Welsh rock...
Welsh rock...

Well not quite, but Llandudno rocks nonetheless.
Surf's up...Surf's up...
Surf's up...

Run now...no now!!!
Errrr....RightErrrr....Right
Errrr....Right

Does anyone know any good auto repair centres?


30th April 2007

Wow you have been busy!!!!!!
Good to see you're both having a fabulous time, despite the rain. He! He! He! its been about 23° here for days now. You've seen loads so far! Are you going planning to do any more work??? I'm sure thats what you're there for??? Alteast you getting the chance to see all of the fablous places around you. The pictures look great, the places and scenery look amazing. I think you should avoid the hire cars from now on, you'll be getting a reputation!!!! Was very disappointed not to see a sand castle with that white lovely sand!!! xXxXxXx

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0777s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb