Today's title...You decide!!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Boulders Beach
April 28th 2007
Published: April 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It must be lurve...It must be lurve...It must be lurve...

Wedded bliss!

March of the Penguins
After getting up following a proper lie in we learnt some local language from our room mates. We are, however, unable to remember a word of it!!!

We set off on our second adventure in Cara Corsa at around midday. We had a third travelling companion in the form of Pam, a fellow i-to-i'er and Chill and Surf resident, as we drove east towards Fish hoek. Our first stopping off point was Simon's Town...Boulders Beach to be more specific!!! As we paid our entrance fee and wandered along the wooden walkway, nothing could have prepared us for the magnificent sight of hundreds of African (Jackass) penguins. After a lot of aahhh'ing and even more photos we came away having only smuggled the odd bird into our bags!!!

After a bite to eat in a sea view restaurant we were back on the road, heading along the coast through Smitswinkel Bay ending up at the southern most point in the continent of Africa. As we entered the National Park we were greeted by some Bonteboks (an extrememlt colourful antelope). Arriving at Cape Point, and at the top of the funicula railway we spotted a splash in the ocean, which
Our new clan...Our new clan...Our new clan...

The tribe...Hannah, Lizzie and brood!
on closer inspection (through Mummy Bate's monocula...you rule, mum), we realised it was a Southern Right whale waving at us!!!

Right at the top of the point we took a short walk up the lighthouse steps and were able to view the spectacle of the Atlantic ocean to our right and the Indian ocean to our left. After posing for countless tourist-like photos we boarded the Flying Dutchman and were safely brought back down to Cara Corsa who was surrounded by Guinea Fowl!!!

Next a quick drive down to the Cape of Good Hope had us stopping for an ostrich family posing and a pair of antelope grazing.

Expecting this to be the last of the wildlife, imagine our surprise when we came across !!! A dash to and from the car in freezing winds allowed for just enough time for a quick snap of the cameras...particularly well timed so as to miss a SAGA coach party following on behind us.

Mid-moan about the lack of baboons (a back-pack thieving treat that we'd been promised) we rounded a corner and were stopped in our tracks by a troop of them!!! After trying to get a few
On the road again...On the road again...On the road again...

From Boulders Beach to Smitswinkel, en route to Cape Point.
photos without annoying the drivers behind us (or big daddy baboon) we trundled on watching the waves crashing and the sun setting over Kommetjie lighthouse...awesome!!! And if that wasn't enough a few more baboons appeared to show us their evening meal.

So as you can see from today's mammoth entry we saw so much that it's impossible to choose just one title. If you can come up with something send us a comment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Bottom of the worldBottom of the world
Bottom of the world

The three amigos at the bottom of the World!
Is it...???  It is!!! Is it...???  It is!!!
Is it...??? It is!!!

Willy the Whale...honest...if you squint!
We're not posers...really!We're not posers...really!
We're not posers...really!

...well why not...we're at the end of Africa!
Hide me, Mum..Hide me, Mum..
Hide me, Mum..

Those strange human-things are looking at me!
Needs no explanationNeeds no explanation
Needs no explanation

Just stunning!


29th April 2007

'Smile and wave boys!'
Well penguins have certainly beaten the hummingbird today.... but what did you have for dinner???? I believe Kat has finally had 'THAT' certain creature that you hear about in South America. I won't mention it due to the vegetarians and the pet lovers who may read this! Keep snapping. The photos from two continents certainly help to fill the time ! P.S. When are you going to build the biggest sandcastle in the world? Jeannie
29th April 2007

Fabby pics....
But I wouldn't expect anything less to be fair. Only a few days in and the collection already shows that you have been very busy. Have you actually done any work?!?! It is Queens day here in Dutch-Land or rather it is tomorrow so it's very lively and there is lots of orange around! Keep the picture captions up I love them!

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.06s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb