Shark Diving in South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Gansbaai
September 4th 2009
Published: September 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yes... We really did dive with Great White Sharks.
We had a very early morning, picked up from our hotel at 5:45am. We drove about 2.5 hours to a little town called Gansbaai to board our catamaran style boat. Luckily we had taken our sea sick tablets because the waves were huge.

We headed out into the ocean for about an hour. Once we had anchored up the skippers started to "chum" the waters with Tuna juices and fish to attract the sharks. Within 10 minutes while we were all getting fitted in our wetsuits there were already sharks around the boat.

We decided not to go first and watched the first group in the cage from the top of the boat. There are 6 in each cage and you are attached to the side of the boat. The first group didn't get to see that many sharks.

We went next... Lucky our westuits were 7 inches thick to keep us warm because the water was FREEZING! But after a minute or so you forgot about that... Especially when they yell... "Down Left" and you go under for a few seconds to watch a great white shark swim right by the cage only a few metres away. We were the luckiest group. We saw about 5 sharks under water. Once of them came so close its head hit on the cage! Kev even got a second turn and one of the sharks attaked the bait right next to his head. It was a real adrenalin rush and something very unique that we will probably never get to do again. We are very glad we did it!

Tonight we met our tour group. There is 23 of us... Mexican, Irish, German, Brazillian, Aussie, Kiwi, Americans & Pommies!!! As well as our guide Heini from Namibia and driver Anthong from Kenya. We were all going to spend the next few weeks together on "Shangani" our truck (not bus). We are due to head off tomorrow and everyone seems really nice.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th September 2009

You guys can have that all to yourselves. I dont like the look of those sharks! Glad your having a good time.
10th September 2009

Hey Kev, is that really your head or did a shark maul it?

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb