Penguins and Cliffs oh my!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape of Good Hope
August 24th 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

NAME HERE

On Monday August 24th, Jen Tiffany and I rented a car. We decided to see South Africa with our own agenda. Renting the car was one of the hardest things that I did since being in Africa. We set up reservations with one company to get an automatic car and a gps. When the car company picked us up they took us to one location to pay for the gps, then they had to take us to a completely different car rental company to get the car. When we got to the second car rental company they tried to charge a higher price than what was originally quoted, which in the long run was the price we paid. Then when we got the car, the gps was not in it, so we had to wait for the first company to bring the gps to us. It was such a nightmare! It took us almost 2 hours to rent a car.

When things were finally taken care of, I was so excited/scared to drive. It was so weird to be in the drivers seat on the passenger side of the car. Everything was opposite. I turned the windshield
Bird FamiliesBird FamiliesBird Families

These geese were so careful of their babies
wipers on a few times instead of turning on the turn signal. Jen and I made it back to the hostel we got all of our stuff and picked Tiffany up.

Our first stop was to head south down the peninsula. We went to Simons Town, which is close to Boulder Beach, and we got a room there. After we got settled we headed to Boulder Beach to see the penguins. They were so cute! The really funny thing was that penguins were Tiffany’s first wild animal that she saw in Africa. We mostly just watched them walk around and jump, which was so funny. We did try to get close to them and it turned out that the male penguins would stand outside of their little dens and if you got to close their homes they would actually be some what aggressive. The most adorable part of the visit was as we were driving out of the parking lot we saw a sign that said, "Please check under your car for Penguins."

The next day we went to Cape of Good Hope National Park. We got up very early in the morning so we could try to
PenguinsPenguinsPenguins

Tiffany's first wild African animal that she saw!
be there as close the gate opening as possible. When we finally arrived to Cape Point we were the only ones there beside a few workers. The hike up to the light house was pretty steep. I was wearing a very long skirt and was not really dressed for hiking but I made it. The view from the top was awesome. We spent a lot of time up there having a photo session, getting some good pictures, which are all on Jen‘s camera so don‘t get too excited! Just a quick fast fact: Cape Point is the where the tallest sea cliffs in the world are located.

From Cape Point we drove to the Cape of Good Hope which is the most south westerly point in Africa. There was not much to see there besides a sign, but Tiffany did get a chance to chase an ostrich around the parking lot.

From Cape Point we continued onto Hermanus. A small town along the coast of Africa that is famous for whale watching. August and September are supposed to be the peek season for seeing the Southern Right Whale. We spent the afternoon having lunch at a very over priced seafood restaurant watching whales jump. These whales were so big that you could see them while they were swimming under water. It was pretty exciting every time a whale jumped, and at one point there were two whales jumping together, one right after the other. There were some kayakers out in the water very close to the whales and I have to admit I was very jealous. We continued our afternoon with having some gelato on a park bench.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Half way up to Cape PointHalf way up to Cape Point
Half way up to Cape Point

This is the view from the hike half way up cape point
From the top looking downFrom the top looking down
From the top looking down

Cape Point is the tallest sea cliffs in the world
Over the edgeOver the edge
Over the edge

I climbed over the wall surrounding the light house to get this great pic.


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb