Castle & Fan Fest


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
June 20th 2010
Published: June 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -33.916, 18.4222

Today i headed off to the Castle of Good Hope, built by the dutch in the 16th Century after they set up a trading port here for the East India Trading Company. The Castle was completed in 1695, and occupied by the dutch until the early 18th Century when it was captured and controlled by the English.
It really was a worthwhile visit. The castle boasted a variety of elegantly contrasting architecture types, from the Original Dutch foundations, to English and French influences.
There was a museum and variety of interesting rooms and sections of the castle to explore.

Across the road from the castle was the World Cup 'FanFest.' I spend the afternoon here, laying out in the sun with snacks and beers to watch Italy Vs New Zealand. What should have been one of the biggest ever upsets, was reduced somewhat to a draw, for Italy's 4398534098943th undeserved penalty.... sigh.

Awaiting the Ivory Coast vs Brazil match, i headed off for dinner with Lauren. Deciding it was high time we experienced some authentic local/African cuisine, we stumbled upon an Ethiopian Resteraunt. This was an interesting experience. The meal consisted of very doughy 'bread', spongy in texture, made of water and flour.
CourtyardCourtyardCourtyard

Entrance arrival of the castle.
Along side it was a spicy mince dish, beef, pickles, potatoes and carrots. It was tasty enough, and was enjoyed with a live show of dancing and singing.

Finally we returned to Fan Fest for the Brazil Vs Ivory Coast match, finishing with a comprehensive 3-1 victory for the South Americans. It was an awesome place to watch the game, generating a good atmosphere (much like Fed Square) back home.. but actually AT the world cup, and with an incredible view of Table Mountain.
I was introduced to a local alcoholic cider called 'Fruit Ale' which was a treat and welcome alternative to the Castle Draught and Hansa found everywhere.

After just witnessing Korea take a thrashing by Portugal 7-0, im having a cruisy evening and dinner later at the Waterfront.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Outside CastleOutside Castle
Outside Castle

Arrival at the Castle of Good Hope. Me with a cannon
ArsenalArsenal
Arsenal

This is one of the original rooms of the castle, used as an Arsenal.
Kris DungeonKris Dungeon
Kris Dungeon

Me in chains in the Dungeon
Lonely PrisonerLonely Prisoner
Lonely Prisoner

Me in one of the prison cells of the castle
Kris CastleKris Castle
Kris Castle

Me on the stairs
Kris CastleKris Castle
Kris Castle

Thats me on top of a stairway inside the Castle of Good Hope
Dolphin PondDolphin Pond
Dolphin Pond

This area was originally built by the Dutch govenor with a dolphin fountain in the middle, and offices overlooking it. When occupied by the British it was bulldozed, and made into stables... tasteless. It was restored to its former glory 20 years ago.
Me up top of the castle wallsMe up top of the castle walls
Me up top of the castle walls

Thats table mountain in the background
ChimneysChimneys
Chimneys

View on top of the castle
Atop the CastleAtop the Castle
Atop the Castle

Me on the castle walls
Table MountainTable Mountain
Table Mountain

quite a view from on top of the castle


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb