More Idube - then on to Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
February 22nd 2013
Published: February 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

We haven't been washed over the falls or eaten by lions, internet access has been a bit sparse only logging on from the phone (hence the spelling mistakes Barbara!).

Idube - Update

This was amazing, an experience of a lifetime. Thanks to Wessel our guide (& intrepid off roader) and Lonnet our tracker we saw:


• Male Lions
• Lionesses with at least 3 cubs (After a bit of off-road manouevering by Wessel)
• Elephants - herds and singly and some with little ones
• Cheetah mum with a baby (3 out of the 4 days we were there)
• Cape Buffalo - once being helpful and feeding the terrapin his tics
• Rhino & baby
• Zebra
• Kudu
• Impala (most spotted variety of animal!)
• Puff Adder
• Birds incuding vulture and eagles, kingfishers and owls plus the oxpickers and thickknee (no idea if spelt right!)
• Water buck
• Many others.........








You would not believe how close we got to the animals - it was almost as if you could touch them (if you didn't value all your limbs, it's quite deceptive and you have to remember that they are wild animals and would quite like you for lunch!)

The resort and its staff were absolutely fantastic and we have put on about a stone with all the lovely food. In spite of the 5 am wake ups with 15 mins to get to the lodge for a cup of tea. Although one morning highlight was coffee and a muffin overlooking 2 hippos in the dam.

We met many interesting people from all over the world including a family from Peru, family from Germany and other travellers from Denmark and Holland.

Cape Town

We arrived via Johannesburg after nearly a 2 hour delay from Nelspruit Mpumalanga. Up to then we had learned thank you please and good morning in several local languages.

We had a tour of the city by Red bus yesterday which took in the cable station at Table Mountain, Camps Bay where we had lunch and a sunbathe and a toe in the freezing Atlantic which is colder in summer due to the wind blowing over the 12 apostles.

It also skirted Clifton Beach and gave a lot of information about Cape Town itself - a good basis for getting to know your way around.

Our plans to go up in the cable car today were changed by the weather - lots of cloud not good for visibility! Therefore we've had chance to update the blog!

May do the Blue Bus to the wine area today and the sunset trip to signal hill - we'll see what happens with the weather!

L< & D


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



22nd February 2013

Holiday
Hiya, glad to see you're having an amazing time! The pictures look fantastic I'm sooooo jealous. Looking forward to seeing them all when you get back. Hope you and your mum have a great rest of your trip!! V
22nd February 2013
DSC_0398[1]

typos
I'm really enjoying your "reports" and pictures.
22nd February 2013

Enjoyed your blog
Hi Di & Lou, Nice photos. Enjoy your weather, it's sub-zero here. Your premises OK. Look after yourselves. Cheers John & Marjorie.
23rd February 2013

Hello to the Intrepid Travellers
As I sit here wrapped in my blanket!!! trying to keep warm, I have to say that I am very envious. The safari trip is obviously a highlight , great photos. Enjoy your trip to the Wine area, have a couple of bottles on me !!!
24th February 2013

picture review
Pictures look Fab ,looking forward to other 2000& odd+. Love Dad xxxxxx
24th February 2013

Great animal photos.
Just accessed your blog and we thought the photos were really good.Enjoy your stay in Capetown,.Love to you both of you from Freezing Stalybridge. See you soon. margaret mike & maureen

Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb