Classic Finish


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
January 18th 2012
Published: January 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's Wednesday evening in Cape Town and the weather has been unseasonably hot and under heat wave conditions. Of course since most of my readers are freezing I am not looking for any sympathy. Air conditioning is not common in most places so going inside is not even option to get relief if you are not in a car or outside of the hotel.

After today's township tour we got back and had some time to rest before formal dinner night. The evening started with a long and winding drive up to Table Mtn. Park. Table Mtn. offers a fully suspended cable ride up to the top, which means no support pylons on the way up. We ascended to the top in an open cable car that had a rotating floor with views of the entire city and coastline. The mountain is 3500ft above sea level and is breathtaking. We took a group picture and watched the sunset over a champagne reception. While that was great another surprise was coming.

After we rode the cable car down at dusk we were set to board our buses to dinner. When we got to the landing there were no buses. Instead there was a fleet of classic cars that had been hired to drive us. Everything from 1930 model "Dick Tracy" type gangster coaches to American muscle cars. I grabbed a banana yellow 1975 Mercedes Benz. It was awesome and our driver was an old South Africa Air Force pilot how supported the “Vietnam conflict" as he called it. The cars took us to a 5 star restaurant in the old section of town and we had a red carpet arrival featuring photographers and everyone cheering for each other as they arrived. Something totally unexpected and truly memorable.

Dinner was great and ended with some dancing and one of our own singing live on stage with the band. Classic finish to a sobering day time experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb