Big Birds and Bold Reds


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
August 3rd 2010
Published: August 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

As promised, our second installment on our return to Cape Town. Lulu got us back safe and sound, although suffered a harrowing injury to herself. Some passing truck/bakkie/ute dropped a block of ice on her, and smashed her front light.

Our next stop down the garden route after Wilderness was Plettenberg Bay, not a whole lot to say for itself in the winter, but we did finally manage to see some whales. You might be able to spot them in the photo attached, but then again it could be a smudge on the lens!?

Our furthest point along the route was in Jeffrey's Bay, the surf capital of South Africa. As you can imagine, we were right at home there and spent a lot of time hanging ten with the pro surfers at the Billabong J-Bay Classic. We were only due to spend a night there before rolling on to Port Elizabeth, but many thanks to Chris, Dave, Pat, Gary and his son for advising we stay where we were, cos Port Elizabeth wasn't all it was cracked up to be. So we relaxed in J-Bay for an extra night, if only to rest after the 500g fillet and cracking SA Malbec - sensational, the quest for the best steak and rouge has started with a beauty.

We left the coastal trail and went inland to Oudtsoorn, renowned for its ostriches. On our visit to the farm, I sadly tipped over the weight limit (not sure how?!) but Megan demonstrated her skills commanding a beast and rode an ostrich around the paddock. Soon after we were eating its cousin on a rather sumptuous braai back at the hostel. These animals really are good for many things (sausages, steaks, burgers, kebabs, dusters, hats, wallets and omlettes). The next morning was a short trip up to the Cango Caves to see the rock formations. Apparently they were discovered by some Portuguese farmer looking for his lost sheep - never did find flossy (sorry Tristan).

We had rather a chilly night on a working farm in a tiny town called Montagu. Thought we should cook up another classy meal, but were knocked back at the first attempt by lack of gas. Luckily there was more than one kitchen, and the pasta was put back on the menu after a lot of flashlights and fumbling.

Onwards to Stellenbosch where we spent 2 good nights in the "Stumble Inn". Sandwiched in between was a glorious wine tasting tour. There are many vineyards in the area, all set amongst spectacular surroundings, but that was beside the point, we were there for one thing, and one thing only - fine wine, and plenty of it.

Our last night with Lulu was spent down the Cape in Simonstown, a naval town with a cracking fish and chip shop on the quay - who knew a Russian was a spicy sausage?

We are now back in Cape Town, and have explored a little more. Tomorrow we hit the road in earnest as our truck is outside and our driver is in the bar looking for his keys. We will only be 5 tomorrow, but will pick up a dozen more in Johannesburg next week.
Thats it guys, you are now up to date.
Whole lotta lovin
McCheekos

p.s. For all of you fuzz afficionados, we are now 3 weeks in, and I think I have broken the back of it. Slight tinge of ginge - not sure how.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



3rd August 2010

ginger
only the very elite have ginger hair so you should consider yourself very honoured!
3rd August 2010

Great Wine
Wow, the beard growth is looking good, but what is going on with your chin??? Glad you got back safely in Lulu I hope you have fun in the truck. The boys and I love reading your quips and certainly the piccies, love the brown dots in the distance - any sharks yet, or staying well clear!!! Family home is done and dusted now.Lots of love to you bothxxx
3rd August 2010

Looks like you guys are having an amazing time...LOVE South Africa, am so jealous right now!! I'll be over that way at Xmas :-) Cheeks keep up the ginger beard! Megs I'm sure you're keeping Cheeks in line! xx
4th August 2010

Steak
The boys are a bit disappointed you had mashed potato with your steak. No chips? Have you gone soft since you left London. We await the next installment. Keep safe.
5th August 2010

part 2
Looks as though you are having a great time!! don't think your suitcases will ever appear again in England cos they are at the back of my spare room and am unlikey to reach them before i leave in two and half weeks. still i'm sure you can climb over things. will give keys to victoria. hope the safari goes well love me

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 17; qc: 27; dbt: 0.1202s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb