So many mountains


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
May 15th 2010
Published: May 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

THE SUN SHINES AGAIN….

Had a much better sleep, ended up getting an extra blanket, so now toasty warm. Still both waking up at 3am, body clock saying it’s 9am still!

Got up early to walk to V & A Waterfront to go on the Robben Island tour, but when we got there it was cancelled again because of rough seas (we didn’t care about rough seas. we’d already taken Kwells so we were good to go…), rebooked again for Monday - 3 times lucky hopefully hey!

But the day is a great day, sun is shining and it is so much warmer.

SIGNAL HILL

We caught a taxi to Signal Hill and had lunch up there, there were some Turkey looking birds that were brave enough to take some bread from my hands - I’m sure that’s part of their natural diet - perhaps, maybe, well I didn’t see any signs not to. Mind you a big tourist bus pulled up and MY birds literally ran over to them and I was forgotten!

We had a really cool taxi driver called Lulu who stopped the meter when we pulled up and waited for us to faff about doing our thing up there. Our plan was to wait for the noon gun but decided to go to Table Mountain instead.

TABLE MOUNTAIN - GREAT MOUNTAIN TO LEAP OFF

There was a huge line of people waiting to buy tickets, it had been closed for the past few days because of strong winds, but we’d bought ours on-line before we left Perth so at least we could bypass that line, but then the line waiting for the cable car was equally as long. Takes only 5 minutes to go up to the top of the mountain but the wait is about half an hour, but is was in the sun so it was still nice. The view was still amazing even from where we were waiting.

The cable cars were good, the floor inside turns slowly so even though it was crowded you can still see the view all the way around.

I had already arranged to abseil front the top of Table Mountain, Tim decided to decline - someone had to hold the bags!

It’s the highest commercial abseil in the world and the last half is a complete free fall with no rock to touch at all. For someone who doesn’t like heights, I still found it the greatest experience. The guys running it were funny but still considerate of potential sooks like me! The downside is the walk back UP the mountain! It takes about half an hour is far from a nice walk trail, more suited to mountain goats than silly humans!

So as the sun sets on another perfect day, we hope to get a good sleep before cage diving with the sharks tomorrow…




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb