Coming home soon!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
January 4th 2010
Published: January 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello again everyone!!

Merry (belated) Christmas as well! Sorry about the lack of blog posts - the trip has been quite busy ever since the last post!
Christmas was really hard to be away from home, so I decided to take my mind of things by jumping out of a plane...that worked pretty well. I certainly didn't feel homesick for a 5,000 meter 30 second free-fall!!
We all went out for a really nice lunch after that and then Brittney and I went for a walk along the beach. On the 23rd, we spent the day sandboarding, then a few hours at a hospital, when Brittney broke her wrist (cool little fact -- we were at the hospital where Angelina Jolie had her baby!!! - Shiloh for all of you celebrity gossip loving people), and then in the afternoon went quadbiking in the Namibian sand dunes. It was absolutley insane! I couldn't believe the way the let us drive...it was quite terrifying actually!

Since Swakopmund, we have spent a couple of nights camping, but mostly been in hostels. We were in Stellenbosch a few days ago, which is absolutley gorgous!!! It was one of my favorite places for sure. We all got a little dressed up (which was a pretty big change from our camping outfits...) and went on a wine tour!
Right after Stellenbosch we came to Cape Town. We arrived on the 30th, so just in time for a massive "Green Market Square" party in the middle of the city. Cape Town is really amazing! Its absolutley gorgous and I'm already working on sweet talking Lisa into coming back with me sometime!! - you'd LOVE it here Lis!
There's amazing seafood and tonnes of shopping, plus is a super clean city. We wake up each morning at our hostel to have breakfast on a patio looking out at Table Mountain! So pretty!
Brittney and I toured Robben Island 2 days ago and saw Nelson Mandela's prison cell. Yesterday almost the entire Oasis group got together (although the trip officially ended on the 31st) to go see England and South Africa in a cricket game....there's a confusing sport!!!
Today Brittney and I have gone up to the top of table mountain to take some pictures and have lunch with an amazing view of the ocean and the city.

Tomorrow we are shark cage diving...should be interesting! A couple of our friends have gone and they all loved it!
We have a whole lot of beach tanning and shopping planned for teh 6th and 7th and our flight leaves the night of the 7th....then back to the cold!!!

I have tonnes of pictures and videos to show everyone! Can't wait to see you all!!

Love,
-Denise

Advertisement



4th January 2010

Scary!
Jumping from a plane,reckless driving in the sandunes of the cape, and going in a shark cage... that is nothing! We have to come into work 5 days a week and listen to Joe Arsenault NOW THAT IS FRIGHTNING!!!!!!!! It must be also scary that you are coming home soon, but we all miss you. Mark has been trying to find you in Google Earth without much success. Hope to see you soon. P.S. Just as an update, was speaking with Angelina the other day and baby is doing fine. PPS. Say Hi to Brittney (Blush) sorry to hear about her mishap: be sure to tell her about your young friend Dennis. ( and GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!) See you soon Denise. Deno.
4th January 2010

character building
Hi Denise Thanks for the blog update. This has been quite a character building trip!! Lots of extremes, starting with the extreme poverty you witnessed in the Lenana slum, to the extreme beauty of the African wilderness, the extreme heat, and the extreme thrills, etc, etc etc. I'm sure that in some way this trip will have changed you, and that you will see the world from a different perspective. My perspective is still that of a parent. Your Mother and I are very proud of the investment you have made in yourself, by setting this goal and saving the money for your African experience. We have been surprised (sometimes shocked) to learn of your adventures, and of course we are very anxious for your return to Canada. Denise - you had lot's of character before, but now you have built upon that even more! We are really looking forward to seeing you soon - Love Dad

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb