To the Waterfront, quickly...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
July 16th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 16, 2007 Cape Town “”
Today at 7:40, I joined Ced on his Walk for Life constitutional. It was a 5k walk around Rondebosch, the suburb where he and Sandra live. It was a crisp morning, and I attracted lots of funny looks in my stylish teddybear pj pants! (I didn't have room for exercise clothes, OK!) It was a nice walk. I do enjoy walking outside versus on a track in a gym! Once we got home, I lazed about, checking e-mails and working on my blog. I had a late breakfast, and then suddenly it was 11:00, and Ced was rather cross that I had made no effort to get started on our day. So, we got going. We had afternoon tea scheduled with an old school friend of mine at 3:00--that didn't leave us much time to futz around. After getting cleaned up, and writing down detailed directions from Ced, we headed to the Waterfront, quickly! The Waterfront is the Cape Town harbor and a beautifully developed shopping, dining, and entertainment district. We found a parking garage close to the entrance, and went in search of Ferryman's, a restaurant that serves Mitchell's beer (previously enjoyed in Knysna!) We found it nearby, and close to it were the Scratch Patch--a gemstone paradise for 8-year old boys, and a craft market--something I was looking forward to wandering through. We ate lunch (where else but) outside, under the constant scrutiny of some cute, but rather assertive birds. When we had finished, Ross and Owen headed for the Scratch Patch, and I walked through the market. Got some souvenirs at each spot! At 2:30 sharp, we were on the road to Lee's, following her excellent SMS (text) message directions. We had a wonderful afternoon with her and Pam, and tiny baby Nicholas (born June 28). They served tea with pretty sugar (AEFS--we need to get some! I think Becky knows where to find it!) and some delicious old-fashioned milk tart. Owen played soccer with little Matthew (3) and Victor, the Malawian housekeeper. We stayed quite late, catching up on the last 14 years, and even go to meet Phillip, Lee's husband, when he got home. When we realised that it was 6:30, we got some more great directions from Lee and scurried home to Woodside. Sandra had offered us a night of babysitting if we wanted to go out on the town, but a home-cooked dinner, and time vegged out in front of the TV was more appealing. We had lamb caserole, potatoes, mushrooms and butternut squash, and we watched half of a BBC crime drama called "Waking the Dead", before going to sleep in the most comfortable bed on our trip!




Advertisement



Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1911s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb