My last few hours in Africa, and my yesterday doing the cape peninsular route


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Waiting for my flight that is due to happen in less than 4 hours now seems like waiting for a time bomb to go off.. It's inevitable.. and you don't want it to happen..

What's happened to all the homesickness?? Yes.. I'm still homesick.. and I can't wait to get home.. maybe i'm just sad that all this is going to end...

Went out to tour the Cape Peninsular yesterday.. it was a blast!! Rented a car with Ryan and Steve from the overland bus.. and we drove down the coastal road of Cape Town and then the peninsular.. it's so beautiful out there! Many of you have been asked the following question by me: "Given a choice, would you choose to live in some scenic mountains, maybe with a nice stream and waterfall if you are lucky.. or would you rather live by the sea/ocean?".. In the peninsular.. you don't really have to choose.. The Table Mountains.. Twelve Apostles.. Sentinel.. Chapman's Peak.. all the way to Cape Point.. give you a good variety of mountains to choose from.. and yet face the majestic Atlantic / Indian Ocean all day.. and feel free to go and surf those gigantic waves... the waves.. it's no wonder so many ships crashed in times past...

We were besetted by many things before car rental yesterday.. supposed to collect the car at 930am.. but due to incomplete documents... not old enough to get low excess liability.. and loss of wallets.. one by each of the three of us.. set our departure time back by about 1.25hours.. anyhoo.. we managed to get into the car finally.. and set off for our day journey...

We drove along the north coast of Cape Town.. round Green and Sea point.. and then down to the various beaches on the west coast.. man.. the houses here are nice.. we got out of Cape Town soon after.. and when we arrived at Hout Bay.. we were besetted by wind and rain.. grrr.. so yes.. we did not managed to get the standard tourist view of Hout Bay from Chapman's Peak.. we got another view instead.. of the clouds covering almost the entire Hout Bay... haha.. that was pretty cool as well! =)

As you drive down the peninsular, you come to small town and villages... and i really don't mind staying there ... everyday just hear the roaring of the sea.. and i'd guess you'd grow humble with the ocean in front of you and the mountains behind you... i can just sit at the beach.. or the porch.. and listen to the sea whole day...

We drove into the Cape of Good Hope Nat'l Park next.. which is only about 70km south of Cape Town.. 55 rand for each adult going into the park.. the anticipation that builds up in me as we drove nearer and nearer to Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope was pretty fun.. =) We took the tram thing up the slope to Cape Point.. cos none of us felt like sweating and panting.. 25 rand one way.. and when you get to the top.. i dunno how to describe it.. but it's just soo... nice.. seeing the peninsular behind you.. the atlantic on your right.. the indian on your left.. and the two of them coming together in front of you... the sun shone out as well for us when we arrived in Cape Point.. and we're grateful.. and then.. we saw rainbows over Cape Point!... that was a pretty special moment..

Went to cape of good hope next.. a very distincitive coastal feature.. with 3 toes jutting out.. Cape Point and Cape of Good Hope are in themselves like the 2 toes of the peninsular.. good hope in the west and cape point in the east.. after touch and kissing the capes.. and taking some photographs.. we set off on the return journey via the east coast of the peninsular..

Again.. scenic views and envy of the people staying along the coast all the way... we got to Simon's Town.. a nice little place.. and there's this place where there's a penguin colony.. so you park your car.. walk out to the free walkway (there's a paid walkway as well).. and you see many many penguins... some of them are even hatching their eggs.. interesting.. no no.. no icebergs here in case you're wondering.. but rocks and some vegetations that seem good for penguin nests...

After the penguins.. we set off back to Cape Town via Fish Hoek.. the fishing town.. drove past.. no sushi place or we'd have stopped for dinner.. haha... and got back to Cape Town.. entire journey took us about 7+ hours.. if you have 9-10, it'd be perfect tho..

Ok.. 1 hour left before i have to leave for the airport... want to go to this nice breakfast place for a last breakie.. (as the aussies say it)... Logging off from Africa... next log on - Singapore... still dunno what to feel about that...

<<< END TRANSMISSION >>>


Advertisement



Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb