Day 9 - Out with the Old and in With the New


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
August 3rd 2018
Published: August 4th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We get a sort of sleep in this morning as we don’t have a safari drive as we are leaving. We shower, then the phone rings. Reception calls to advise there is a cheetah at the waterhole. Too hard to get organised quickly so decide to give it a miss.

Call for our cart a bit later. They come and take our bags and us to the lodge. One of the group is still looking at the waterhole. The cheetah and 4 cubs are still in the area, although out from the waterhole a bit. Look through the telescope and spot them. Cubs still playing, mum watching, us watching. The couple on the deck having an intimate breakfast are being consumed by all of us. They don’t seem to mind and are actually giving running commentary on the cheetahs movements.

Finally mum calls the cubs, they come running and then they all wander off into the grass. Great start to breakfast.

A very leisurely breakfast, our truck doesn’t leave until 1045. Lots of chatter, then Perez hands out paperwork to be completed. That takes the edge off the happy faces. Paperwork done, and we wander around the fort. Perez buys a vest from the curio shop, looks good, and I have Namibian money to burn so get one as well.

Into our truck for the last time. Farewells to the staff, the boss is there to give kisses and handshakes and we are off. A stop at the gate for photos then onto the plane for our trip to Cape Town in South Africa. More customs.

Relatively smooth flight, then into the international arrivals hall accompanied by one of our pilots to get us through without hassle. No problems, then into the departure area. The safari group representative gets us through quickly and we are checked in. Through the customs line and security and we are now waiting for our flight with lots of others in a very small waiting area - quite a few flights leaving around the same time. Our flight is called. Badge lady is off and is ushered to the front of the queue - age has some benefits. She beckons us to come with her and the gate person agrees so in we charge. No real complaints and we are away.

Flight to Cape Town is smooth and quick. We arrive at least half and hour early. Through customs in a flash and our bags are doing laps of the carousel. Out to the waiting throng of drivers with boards. We find ours and are off. Out of the airport earlier than our expected time of arrival. The trip to our hotel was good. All the traffic was going the other way - and lots of it.

Get to the hotel and meet our tour guide and get rooms. We are due back for a briefing in an hour. Up to the room, waiting for bags. They eventually turn up and we go down for our meeting. Not sure who is on the tour. We walk in and one of our group is there talking to another couple. Introduce ourselves, then in come a noisy group we had just seen in the bar. One of that group comes over and introduces himself. A Canadian who now lives up on the Atherton tablelands. There are 6 in that group and all up, 21 on the tour. Might be an interesting group. Will keep you posted on personalities, etc. as we go.

Out for a quick feed. Italian place, I have pizza and Chris a small meal. Pizza was good. Now for sleep. Another early start tomorrow.

Useless information:

Takeoffs and landings: 18

Dirt airstrips: 3

Customs clearances: 6

Advertisement



Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0933s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb