Politically speaking, how are things on your end?!?!?!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town » West Beach
April 26th 2008
Published: April 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

From here it seems they are pretty normal, although normal seems pretty crazy!

Coming from the political reality in which we are currently living, I honestly believe that the current US democratic rat race is anything but abnormal. Let me tell what should not be normal: two countries away from us in Kenya (where I used to live), two months ago we had a near-out literal civil war because the incumbent wouldn't concede his seat. And, again, just one country away (Zimbabwe) we currently have close to a civil war because again the 27-year! incumbent (Mugabe) will not concede to obvious defeat. In fact, he won't even allow the results of the most recent election to be released because it's quite obvious that he is not the winner.

The awesome part of it all is the solidarity of other Southern African countries in the struggle for Zimbabweans' freedom. China sent a ship full of military arms and weapons to Zimbabwe (aka Zim), but because they are a landlocked country, they have to have cooperation from other countries to receive them. Unfortunately, however, because there is no arms embargo against Zim the South African government couldn't "technically" refuse the ship from getting to Zim. This is the really cool part:

the South African union of dock workers refused to unload it. . . .

and even if they were forced to. . .

the South African union of drivers refused to deliver it!!!!

I have to say that there is nothing more i love in this world than nonviolent disobedience against violence!!!!

Eventually, the ship was forced to go to another port: Angola. And I can't say that I'm up on all the local news, but what I've heard is that even though Angola is apparently an ally of both China and Zim, they were so pressured not to receive the ship that they refused to let it dock, too!!! Hopefully this is what transpires!

If so, this means that with enough international pressure the long term Zimbabwean dictator who has been literally killing those who are of the other party will either step down or be taken down.

Can you even imagine Bush having the US military walk into Clinton's or Obama's or McCain's political office and kidnap or shoot everyone dead?!?!? No, of course not, because that is entirely preposterous. However, when you live in an African country for whom there rest of the world doesn't really give a shit (i.e. no one is really watching what you do). . . .it's not so preposterous. . . in fact, it really does happen. . . in fact it really is happening. People are honestly dying, being killed, because they want a different president. Crazy shit. Excuse my language, however, I feel that is the least of which I should be excusing. What I should actually be excusing it my absence in Zim protecting those Zimbabweans whose voice apparently means nothing to the rest of the world.

"Wow", you think. "But, what can I do?!?!"

I have to admit. The situation feels so out of control that I feel the same way. At the same time I know that if each of us did one little thing it would amount to something great.

Even though you may feel like your lone voice doesn't count in the world, let me tell you: IT DOES!!

If you actually do want to do something, it's actually pretty damn easy. If not, just continue to sit back, absorb this and sip your coffee, and keep hoping that America will never have the same situation and need others' help.

If you do feel compelled to take even the slightest bit of action, you can do any one or all of these:

1: call president bush and voice your opinion that the US should influence the UN to start an arms embargo against Zimbabwe: 202-456-1414
2: call the South African government and tell them that you support them finding a fair solution to the current Zimbabwean political crisis: (use skype) +27 86 717 7077
3: call the UN and tell them that you want the Zimbabweans to have their election results released!!: 27 12 354 8686 OR
27 12 354 8680

When I lived in the US and I heard about political and human atrocities throughout the world, I am ashamed to say that my first tendency was to ignore it or think that, "you know what, i'm sorry to say, but i'm just simply too busy for this." So, I completely understand. Now knowing what an impact it actually can make, I also want to offer you the chance of making a difference, not just in one other person's life, but possibly in an ENTIRE COUNTRY'S LIFE!!

it's up to you. and know that ben and i will love you no matter what!

namaste,

sarah and benj



Advertisement



27th April 2008

Rock on!
Thank you so much for this great inside look- we've been talking about these situations in my 10th grade class recently, and the students are fascinated by the idea that one person could hold so much power. I love that you're getting to see such solidarity!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb