The Adventure Begins


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Northern Cape
April 26th 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 (Sunday 26-Apr-09, JRJ & NJJ)

Up at 7am for brekkie, then went to meet Benji, the Africa In Focus overland truck. He's a massive turquoise truck with lockers along the sides for our luggage and lockers and safe inside for our day packs, cameras and valuables. Seats are very comfy with loads of leg room (thank god) and there's a fridge and snacks to help ourselves, along with a small selection of books.

Left Cape Town and headed off on our adventure. It was still really overcast and miserable in the city but as we headed north the weather brightened up for us. Had to miss out on a spectacular view of Table Mountain, because we couldn't see it due to the cloud cover. Arrived at Gekko backpackers campsite at Citrusdal at around 1pm after a few stops on the way. Had ham and cheese salad rolls for lunch prepared by Johannas the cook. Put our tents up for the first time following demo by Alex (our tour guide) then went for a bushman walk with Skokie (a local bushman) for around 2 and a half hours in the hills behind our campsite. In the local language, Skokie means 'Shock'. He got his name because when he was born, his mother was shocked as he is much darker than his other siblings. On the walk we learned about the local flora and fauna and how the bushmen use them for various things. e.g. the residue left by menstruating hyrax's can be used to perform abortions. I'll have to remember that one - could come in handy!

Sat around campfire for a while, had a shower then drank a 750ml bottle of Windhoek lager between us. Very nice. Evening meal of spag bol. Followed by Jamie's first ever experience of fire toasted marshmallows dipped in melted cadbury's chocolate - all delicious. Bed at 9:30 (if you can call it a bed).

Got to know all our fellow campers a bit better:
Will (Driver) - Afrikaan speaking white South African - looks and acts like Will Ferrell.
Alex (Tour Leader) - English photographer. It's his first time as a tour leader.
Johannus (Cook) - Experienced overland cook from Zimbabwe.
Kathy - English professional photographer.
Debbie - English civil servant.
Jojo - English woman living in Switzerland.
John - English civil servant from Reading.
Josh - Professional tennis coach / professional photographer from Florida but lives 6 months of the year in the middle of the jungle in Costa Rica.
Dan and Chris - New Zealand couple who are very experienced backpackers.
Laura and Paul - Canadian brother and sister from Edmonton. Both students.
Stacy and Cathy - American mother and daughter from nr. Washington D.C.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0733s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb