Tiny Owl and Epauletted Fruit Bat In Satara Camp


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Skukuza
October 2nd 2013
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -24.9854, 31.6018

Tiny Scops Owl and Epauletted Fruit Bats were resting In Satara Rest Camp, up in the trees of the parking lot for Reception , Camp Store and Restaurant .

After having a great morning of game viewing we headed back to the camp. Had to stop by the store to get more ice and when we came out saw some people looking up in the trees right there in the parking lot.

Walked over and the lady that was videoing told us there were Epauletted Fruit Bats in the trees right there! Looked up and there they were looking down at us. They were very interesting looking and the woman that was videoing was actually a bat expert and was at Kruger for the purpose of studying the bats of Kruger.

While we were looking at the bats another woman came up and she teaches environmental programs mainly to young children to try and help them understand the nature of some creatures like spiders, bats and others of that sort. She took us over and showed us a scops owl that blended so well with the tree it was perched on. We had an interesting conversation with here about changing people's perceptions about certain creatures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 65, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb